Icelandic Men's Basketball Cup
The Icelandic Men's Basketball Cup (Icelandic: Bikarkeppni KKÍ), also known as VÍS bikarinn for sponsorship reasons, is an annual professional basketball competition between clubs in Iceland. It is Iceland's first-tier cup competition, and is not to be confused with Iceland's former second-tier cup competition, the Company Cup.
|Current season, competition or edition:|
2020–21 Icelandic Men's Basketball Cup
|Most titles||KR (16 titles)|
|Sponsor(s)||Vátryggingarfélag Íslands (VÍS)|
History and formatEdit
The first edition of the Icelandic Cup championship took place in 1965, and was won by Ármann. In 1968 and 1969, the cup competition was not held, but it has been held regularly every year from 1970 onward. Teams in Úrvalsdeild karla and Division I have an automatic bye to the Final 32 while lower league teams might have to play preliminary rounds for a place, depending on the number of teams. All the rounds are played with a single game knockout format. The final four and the finals are played on a single weekend.
Finally, the winner of the Icelandic Cup championship, or the runner-up if the same team wins both the cup and national championship, will then face the winner of the Úrvalsdeild karla championship in a single game to determine the winner of the Icelandic Supercup championship in the beginning of the next season.
Cup Finals MVPEdit
- 1987 Jóhannes Kristbjörnsson (Njarðvík)
- 2010 Sean Burton (Snæfell)
- 2011 Pavel Ermolinskij (KR)
- 2012 Charles Parker (Keflavík)
- 2013 Jarrid Frye (Stjarnan)
- 2014 Sigurður Þorsteinsson (Grindavík)
- 2015 Justin Shouse (Stjarnan)
- 2016 Helgi Már Magnússon (KR)
- 2017 Jón Arnór Stefánsson (KR)
- 2018 Pétur Rúnar Birgisson (Tindastóll)
- 2019 Brandon Rozzell (Stjarnan)
- 2020 Ægir Steinarsson (Stjarnan)
- Keppt um VÍS BIKARINN!
- 49. grein - Bikarkeppni KKÍ
- 46. grein - Meistarakeppni KKÍ
- Jóhann Ingi Hafþórsson (13 January 2018). "Tindastóll bikarmeistari í fyrsta skipti". Morgunblaðið (in Icelandic). Retrieved 19 June 2018.
- Víkingur Goði Sigurðarson (16 February 2019). "Umfjöllun: Stjarnan - Njarðvík 84-68 - Stjarnan bikarmeistari í körfubolta karla 2019". Vísir.is (in Icelandic). Retrieved 17 February 2019.
- Kristján Jónsson (15 February 2020). "Bikarinn áfram í Ásgarði". Morgunblaðið (in Icelandic). Retrieved 15 February 2020.
- "Lokahóf". Dagblaðið Vísir (in Icelandic). 13 April 1987. Retrieved 27 July 2018.