An ice show is an entertainment production which is primarily performed by ice skaters. Such shows may primarily be skating exhibitions, or may be musical and/or dramatic in nature, using skating as a medium in order to accompany a musical work or to present a story. The term generally excludes skating competitions in (professional) sports. Many companies produce fixed or touring ice shows, which are then performed for the general public in facilities such as multipurpose arenas or skating rinks which can accommodate spectators, or in theatres with a temporary ice surface installed on the stage. Ice shows are also featured as entertainment in amusement parks and on some large cruise ships.
Notable ice showsEdit
- Broadway on Ice is an ice-based revue of Broadway show tunes.
- Champions on Ice, Stars on Ice and Fantasy on Ice are touring ice shows which focus on skating exhibitions, often using well-known competitive skaters.
- Disney on Ice produces ice shows, primarily geared towards children, based on Disney films and characters.
- Holiday on Ice is a musical ice show which primarily performs in Europe and South America.
- Definition of ice show - Merriam-Webster's Student Dictionary
- "ice show definition - Dictionary - MSN Encarta". Archived from the original on 2009-08-31.
Media related to Ice shows at Wikimedia Commons