Ibbenbüren train collision
|Ibbenbüren train collision|
|Date||16 May 2015|
|Time||11:31 CEST (09:31 UTC)|
|Location||Ibbenbüren, North Rhine-Westphalia|
|Incident type||Collision with road vehicle|
|Cause||Vehicle obstructing line|
At 11:31 CEST (09:31 UTC), a WestfalenBahn passenger train travelling from Osnabrück was in collision with a tractor and trailer that were obstructing a level crossing at Ibbenbüren, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. It was reported that the tractor and trailer, which contained liquid manure, became stuck on the level crossing. Extensive damage was caused to the front and side of the leading carriage of the train, which was a Stadler FLIRT electric multiple unit. It came to a halt 200 metres (220 yd) past the level crossing. The train was travelling at around 100 kilometres per hour (62 mph) when it collided with the tractor and trailer.
Two people were killed and 41 were injured, six seriously. Most of the injured were treated for shock. One of those killed was a passenger. The train driver was the other fatality. Passengers from the train were taken to a nearby community centre. Following the accident, a substitute bus service was put in place between Bielefeld and Ibbenbüren. The damaged train was removed to a depot at Rheine. The line through Ibbenbüren reopened on 17 May.
The Eisenbahn-Unfalluntersuchungsstelle des Bundes is responsible for investigating railway accidents in Germany. The tractor driver may face charges of negligent homicide and causing actual bodily harm by negligence.
- "German train crash kills two near Ibbenbueren". BBC News Online. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "Fatal German train crash kills two near Osnabrück". Deutsche Welle. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "Strecke nach Zugunfall bei Ibbenbüren wieder freigegeben" [Distance after train accident at Ibbenbüren released again]. Neue Osnabrücker Zeitung. Retrieved 17 May 2015.
- "Zugunglück in Ibbenbüren: Zurück bleiben Trümmer und Trauer" [Train crash in Ibbenbüren: What remains are ruins and mourning] (in German). Neue Osnabrücker Zeitung. 18 May 2015.
- "WestfalenBahn kollidiert mit Gülleanhänger bei Ibbenbüren - Mit unseren Gedanken sind wir bei den Angehörigen des verstorbenen Fahrgastes und unseres Kollegen" [WestfalenBahn collides with liquid manure trailer in Ibbenbüren - Our thoughts are with the relatives of the deceased passenger and our colleagues] (in German). WestfalenBahn. 16 May 2015.