I Smile Back
I Smile Back is a 2015 American drama film directed by Adam Salky and based on the 2008 novel of the same name by Amy Koppelman, who wrote the screenplay with Paige Dylan. The film stars Sarah Silverman as an upper-middle-class wife and mother struggling with mental illness and addiction. The film had its world premiere at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival on January 25, 2015. It also screened at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 16, 2015. The film was released in a limited release on October 23, 2015, by Broad Green Pictures.
|I Smile Back|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Adam Salky|
|Based on||I Smile Back|
by Amy Koppelman
|Music by||Zack Ryan|
|Edited by||Tamara Me|
|Distributed by||Broad Green Pictures|
Outwardly, Laney (Sarah Silverman) appears to have the perfect suburban life. She has two loving children, a caring husband, and an opulent, upper-middle-class home. Beneath her seemingly pristine image lie anxiety, depression, unresolved childhood issues, and destructive behavior, which jeopardize everything she holds dear.
- Sarah Silverman as Elaine "Laney" Brooks
- Josh Charles as Bruce Brooks
- Thomas Sadoski as Donny
- Mia Barron as Susan
- Skylar Gaertner as Eli Brooks
- Shayne Coleman as Janey Brooks
- Sean Reda as Henry
- Chris Sarandon as Roger
- Billy Magnussen as Zach
- Kristin Griffith as Nurse Pauline
- Oona Laurence as Daisy
- Clark Jackson as Mr. Odesky
- Terry Kinney as Dr. Page
The film had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 25, 2015. Shortly after, Broad Green Pictures acquired distribution rights to the film. The film was selected to screen at the Jerusalem Film Festival on July 11, 2015. and the Deauville Film Festival on September 6, 2015, as well as the Toronto International Film Festival on September 16, 2015, the Oldenburg International Film Festival on September 19, 2015, and the Chicago International Film Festival on October 16, 2015. The film was released on October 23, 2015, in a limited release.
I Smile Back received mixed reviews from critics, with universal praise for Silverman's performance. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a 49% approval rating, based on 69 reviews, with an average rating of 5.76/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "I Smile Back serves as a powerful showcase for Sarah Silverman's dramatic range, but fails to surround her committed performance with a movie worthy of its depth". On Metacritic, the film has a score of 59 out of 100, based on 19 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews". IndieWire reviewer Katie Walsh gave strong praise to Silverman's performance in the film.
Silverman was nominated for Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role at the 22nd Screen Actors Guild Awards.
|2016||Washington DC Area Film Critics Association Awards||Best Actress||Sarah Silverman||Nominated|
|Screen Actors Guild Award||Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role||Sarah Silverman||Nominated|
- Foundas, Scott (January 25, 2015). "'I Smile Back' Review : Sarah Silverman Digs Deep". Variety.com. Retrieved September 14, 2015.
- Unknown, Unknown (2015). "I Smile Back". Archived from the original on November 30, 2015. Retrieved September 14, 2015.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony. "Broad Green Dates Three: 'I Smile Back', 'The Dark Horse', Malick's 'Knight Of Cups'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 23 July 2015.
- Fleming Jr, Mike. "Broad Green Acquires Sundance Sarah Silverman-Starrer 'I Smile Back'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- "Sarah Silverman in 'I Smile Back': Sundance Review". Hollywood Reporter. 2015-01-26. Retrieved 2015-10-23.
- "Broad Green Pictures Acquires Sarah Silverman Drama 'I Sm". Indiewire. 2014-11-27. Retrieved 2015-10-23.
- "I Smile Back". Jff.org.il. Retrieved 2015-10-23.
- "'I Smile Back' Photocall - 41st Deauville American Film Festival - Pictures". Zimbio. Retrieved 2015-10-23.
- "I Smile Back". TIFF.net. 2015-07-24. Archived from the original on 2015-11-30. Retrieved 2015-10-23.
- Kastelan, Karsten (2015-09-20). "Sarah Silverman wins Oldenburg best acting honor for 'I Smile Back'". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2015-10-23.
- "I Smile Back | In Theatres October 23, 2015 | Broad Green Pictures". Broadgreen.com. Retrieved 2015-10-23.
- "I Smile Back DVD and Blu-ray". releases.com. Retrieved 2016-03-04.
- "I Smile Back (2015)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved 21 July 2019.
- "I Smile Back Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 14 May 2018.
- Walsh, Katie. "Sundance Review: Sarah Silverman's Tremendous Performance Powers Addiction Drama 'I Smile Back'". Indiewire. Archived from the original on 24 October 2015. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- "SAG Awards 2015: Nominations in full". BBC News.