I Let a Song Go Out of My Heart
"I Let a Song Go Out of My Heart" is a 1938 composition by Duke Ellington, with lyrics added by Irving Mills, Henry Nemo and John Redmond. The song became a number one hit for Ellington in 1938. Other hit versions the same year were by Benny Goodman (with Martha Tilton singing), Connee Boswell, Hot Lips Page, and Mildred Bailey.
- Tony Bennett - for the album Tony Makes It Happen (1967).
- June Christy - included in the album Mood Indigo: Capitol Sings Duke Ellington (1994).
- Rosemary Clooney - for the album Blue Rose (1956)
- Bing Crosby recorded the song in 1957 for use on his radio show and it was subsequently included in the album With All My Heart (2012).
- Ella Fitzgerald - in the album Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Duke Ellington Song Book (1957)
- Gogi Grant - for her album Suddenly There's Gogi Grant (1956).
- Lena Horne - for her album Lena...Lovely and Alive (1962)
- Irene Kral - on her album The Band and I (1958)
- Thelonious Monk covered it in 1955 on his album Thelonious Monk Plays the Music of Duke Ellington.
- Patti Page - included in her album You Go to My Head (1956)
- Mel Torme - for his album Prelude to a Kiss (1958)
- Sarah Vaughan - The Duke Ellington Songbook, Vol. 1 (1979)
- Dinah Washington recorded the song in her album After Hours with Miss "D" in 1954.
- Don Shirley recorded the song on his album Piano Perspectives in 1955.
- Whitburn, Joel (1986). Joel Whitburn's Pop Memories 1890-1954. Wisconsin, USA: Record Research Inc. p. 516. ISBN 0-89820-083-0.
- "allmusic.com". allmusic.com. Retrieved December 4, 2017.
- "A Bing Crosby Discography". BING magazine. International Club Crosby. Retrieved December 3, 2017.
- "allmusic.com". allmusic.com. Retrieved December 3, 2017.
- "Discogs.com". Discogs.com. Retrieved December 4, 2017.