I Don't Wanna Get Drafted
"I Don't Wanna Get Drafted" was a 1980 single by American musician Frank Zappa. It was rerecorded for the 1981 album You Are What You Is under the title "Drafted Again". The record company Zappa was with at the time, Mercury, refused to release it as a single. Zappa instead created his own record company, Barking Pumpkin, and released it from there. It peaked at #103 US Billboard and #68 on Cash Box, but more successfully reached 3 on Swedish Charts. The single version was later included on Zappa's posthumously released The Lost Episodes.
|"I Don't Wanna Get Drafted"|
|Single by Frank Zappa|
|Format||7" and 12"|
|Genre||Rock, comedy rock|
|Frank Zappa singles chronology|
The song was a humorous protest against the Carter administration reinstating mandatory draft registration. Lyrics such as "Roller skates 'n disco is a lot of fun. I'm too young 'n stupid to operate a gun"  refers to the opinion that the draft brings many young people who are not ready and possibly not smart enough for the military. Statements about women being drafted were brought up as well throughout the song.
Differences between versionsEdit
The single version contains lead vocals from Frank Zappa and a chorus, while on the album some verses are sung by Ahmet Zappa and Moon Zappa. The original recording was made at Ocean Way Studios on Sunset Boulevard. A female background singer was added, two days later. Frank Zappa's vocals are not as dominant on the album version. The single version is also much less produced, which led to the album version being mocked by critics who considered it too overdubbed. Also the album version has added lyrics such as the lines, "Ya little sumbitch", "Goddamn little communist", and "LaCelia Jackson! Come on down! Nancy Butterworth! Come on down! You're the next contestants on SOOOOO WHAT! And, but, also. A new car! But that's not all..." (referencing lines from the game show The Price Is Right). The album version closes with a sample of a vocal compilation from "Flower Punk" (from the album We're Only in It for the Money), including the notable lyric, "Leave my nose alone please." 
The tempo is faster on "Drafted Again" as opposed to "I Don't Wanna Get Drafted"
A: "I Don't Wanna Get Drafted" - 3:10
B: "Ancient Armaments" - 4:10 
Frank Zappa- vocals, guitar
Dale Bozzio — vocals
Terry Bozzio — vocals
Mark Pinske - vocals
Ike Willis - vocals, guitar
Ray White - vocals guitar
Arthur Barrow - bass
Tommy Mars - keyboards, vocals
Vinnie Colaiuta - drums 
Frank Zappa – vocals, guitar
Ike Willis – rhythm guitar, vocals
Ray White – rhythm guitar, vocals
Steve Vai – guitars
Ahmet Zappa – vocals
Moon Zappa – vocals
Mark Pinske - vocals
Arthur Barrow – bass guitar
Bob Harris – trumpet
Tommy Mars – keyboards
David Logeman – drums
- "Guitar Gods: The 25 Players who Made Rock History - Bob Gulla - Google Books". Books.google.com. Retrieved 2014-06-27.
- "Frank Zappa - I Don't Wanna Get Drafted Lyrics". MetroLyrics. Retrieved 2014-06-27.
- "The Words and Music of Frank Zappa - Kelly Fisher Lowe - Google Books". Books.google.com. Retrieved 2014-06-27.
- "Electric Don Quixote: The Definitive Story Of Frank Zappa - Neil Slaven - Google Books". Books.google.com. 2009-11-17. Retrieved 2014-06-27.
- "Frank Zappa - Drafted Again Lyrics". MetroLyrics. Retrieved 2014-06-27.
- Ken Dryden. "I Don't Wanna Get Drafted!/Ancient Armaments - Frank Zappa | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-06-27.
- "Frank Zappa - I Don't Wanna Get Drafted! at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2014-06-27.
- "Frank Zappa - I Don't Wanna Get Drafted! (Vinyl) at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2014-06-27.