ITV News Anglia
|ITV News Anglia|
Lead presenters –|
Early presenter –
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Production location(s)||Norwich, Norfolk, England|
(main 18:00 show)
|Production company(s)||ITV Anglia|
|Original network||ITV Anglia|
|Picture format||576i (SDTV 16:9)|
|Original release||9 July 1990– present|
|Preceded by||About Anglia|
BBC Look East|
Anglia News replaced the long-running news magazine programme About Anglia on Monday, 9 July 1990. Initially, there were two sub-regional editions for the East (Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex), and West (Cambridgeshire, Northamptonshire, Bedfordshire, northern Hertfordshire, northern Buckinghamshire, southern Lincolnshire, southern Rutland and a small part of southern Leicestershire) of the region.
The main programme title was amended to Anglia News Tonight in September 2003 however just five months later in February 2004 it was simplified to Anglia Tonight. Both editions were broadcast from Norwich.
By 2008, Anglia News opts during GMTV and weekend bulletins had become pan-regional.
February 2009 – September 2013Edit
As of 12 February 2009, all programming on weekdays became pan-regional. The final sub-regional 6pm editions of Anglia Tonight were broadcast on Wednesday 11 February 2009. Becky Jago and Jonathan Wills currently anchor the programme.
The then remaining sub-regional elements were:
- A 6-minute opt-out during the main 6pm programme.
- The full 8-minute late weeknight bulletins.
- Localised weather forecasts.
Both sub-regional editions utilise exactly the same presenter(s) and studio/set, therefore one of the two opt-outs - depending on the day's news - is pre-recorded 'as live' shortly before broadcast.
On Monday, 14 January 2013, the service was relaunched and renamed as ITV News Anglia.
September 2013 – presentEdit
On 23 July 2013, proposals for a more localised Channel 3 news service were approved - ITV News Anglia reintroduced separate East and West programmes with a minimum of 20 minutes local news content during the half hour 6pm programme, in addition to separate weekday daytime and weekend bulletins for the two sub-regions. The expanded sub-regional service launched on Monday 16 September 2013.
ITV News Anglia airs on ITV Anglia seven days a week.
- Three short opts air as part of Good Morning Britain at approximately 6:10am, 7:10am and 8:10am.
- A four minute lunchtime bulletin, following the ITV Lunchtime News.
- The main half-hour 6pm programme, before the ITV Evening News.
- A ten minute late-night bulletin, following ITV News at Ten.
- At weekends, a short five minute bulletin before the early evening ITV Weekend News.
- Meet the team at ITV News Anglia ITV News, 4 March 2012
- Seventeen regions into nine: How the updated ITV local news services will run Caitlin Fitzsimmons, The Guardian, 17 February 2009
- ITV launches rebrand on air and online, itv.com, 14 January 2013.
- OFCOM sets out licence terms for ITV, STV, UTV and Channel 5 Archived 26 July 2013 at the Wayback Machine., OFCOM, 23 July 2013