Humberto Belli Pereira (born September 7, 1945 in Managua) is a Nicaraguan politician and writer. He is a former Minister of Education in Nicaragua during the Presidency of conservative Violeta Chamorro and a member of the editorial board of La Prensa (which Chamorro owned).
Belli interviewed on Esta Semena in 2020
|Born||September 7, 1945|
|Alma mater||Central American University|
University of Madrid
University of Pennsylvania
|Title||Minister of Education|
He was educated at the Central American University, the University of Madrid, and University of Pennsylvania, where he studied sociology. He joined the Sandinista student group, the Revolutionary Student Front (FER) in 1965, but broke with the FSLN and Marxism in 1975 while continuing to oppose the Somoza rule.
He converted to Catholicism in 1977. He is the author of Breaking Faith: The Sandinista Revolution and its Impact on Freedom and Christian Faith in Nicaragua (1984; also released as Christians Under Fire) and Buscando La Tierra Prometida, Historia de Nicaragua 1492-2019 (Searching for the Promised Land, 2019).
- Belli Pereira, Humberto (1977). Un ensayo de interpretación sobre las luchas políticas nicaragüenses: ponencia (in Spanish). Centro de Investigaciones Sociales Nicaragüenses. Retrieved 1 February 2021.
- Belli Pereira, Humberto (1983). Persecution of Protestants in Nicaragua: The Neglected Story. Retrieved 1 February 2021.
- Belli, Humberto (1984). Christians Under Fire. Instituto Puebla. OCLC 11372504.
- Belli, Humberto; Nash, Ronald H. (1992). Beyond Liberation Theology. Academic Renewal Press. ISBN 978-0-7880-9920-5. Retrieved 1 February 2021.
- Buscando La Tierra Prometida, Historia de Nicaragua 1492-2019 (2019).
- "¿Guerra civil?". La Prensa (in Spanish). 2020-07-20. Archived from the original on 2020-12-09. Retrieved 2021-02-01.
- Nicaraguan Biographies: A Resource Book. U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Public Affairs. 1988. p. 71. Archived from the original on 2021-01-31. Retrieved 2020-12-20.
- Baxter, Kevin (1995-01-15). "THE SUNDAY PROFILE : Poetry, Prose, Politics : Feminism and social change will always be major themes in Gioconda Belli's work. But she's learning to ignite the passions of others rather than lead their struggles". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on February 1, 2021. Retrieved 2021-02-01.
- "Al menos 40 detenidos por la Policía Orteguista en marcha azul y blanco". La Prensa. March 16, 2019. Archived from the original on 17 November 2019. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- Crahan, Margaret E. (11 May 1986). "Breaking Faith THE SANDINISTA REVOLUTION AND ITS IMPACT ON FREEDOM AND CHRISTIAN FAITH IN NICARAGUA by Humberto Belli (Crossways: $8.95; 271 pp.) : IN BLOODY TERMS: THE BETRAYAL OF THE CHURCH IN MARXIST GRENADA by Andrew J. Zwerneman (Greenlawn: $6.95; 113 pp.)". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on 1 February 2021. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Un libro que rescata nuestra historia de una serie de mentiras y mitos ideológicos: "Buscando la tierra prometida"". La Prensa (in Spanish). 2019-11-22. Archived from the original on 2019-11-27. Retrieved 2021-02-01.
- Smith, Calvin L. (2007). Revolution, Revival, and Religious Conflict in Sandinista Nicaragua. BRILL. p. 15. ISBN 9789047419358. Archived from the original on 1 February 2021. Retrieved 16 March 2019.