The Howick Hornets are a rugby league club based in Howick, New Zealand. The premier team competes in Auckland Rugby League's senior competitions. The club currently competes in the top division, the Fox Memorial Trophy. The club has a rivalry with neighbours, the Pakuranga Jaguars. The Howick Hornets are the current Fox Memorial champions and hold the Roope Rooster challenge trophy.
|Full name||Howick Rugby League Football Club|
|Colours||Blue, Maroon and Gold|
|Competition||Auckland Rugby League|
|Sharman Cup||2005, 2009|
The Howick Rugby League Football Club was founded in 1961 with the team playing at the Howick Domain. Former New Zealand representative Cliff Johnson was the club's first chairman. The club first entered a senior team into Auckland Rugby League competitions in 1964 under coach Tommy Baxter. In 1965 Paparoa Park, the club's current home ground, was created with the help of the Howick Borough Council.
The club won the Sharman Cup, the second division title, in 2005 and 2009. In 2005 they defeated the Bay Roskill Vikings 20–16. In 2009 the team won the Sharman Cup by defeating the Glenora Bears 19–12 in extra time. They also won the Auckland Rugby League's 2009 Club of the Year award for the first time ever.
In 2010 the club won promotion to the Fox Memorial Trophy and finished third before losing to the Te Atatu Roosters in a semi final. This was the first time in the club's 49-year history that they had competed in the top division of the Auckland Rugby League. During the season the Hornets defeated the Mt Albert Lions for the first time in three decades and defeated the Otahuhu Leopards for the first time in the club's history. They also hosted a Māori Television broadcast from Paparoa Park for the first time. Six players from the Hornets were named in the Counties Manukau representative team to compete in the Albert Baskerville Trophy.
In 2011 the Hornets won the Fox Memorial, defeating the Otahuhu Leopards 24–14 in the Grand Final.
Howick Senior Team Records (2022)Edit
The season record for the most senior men's team in the club.
|2022||1st Grade (Fox Memorial)||Howick Hornets||8||6||0||2||228||172||56||12||2nd of 9 in section 1, beat Bay Roskill 44-6 in the QFs, lost to Pt Chevalier 24-12 in the SFs|
- Club History Archived 2011-10-06 at the Wayback Machine Howick Hornets
- Howick Hornets Club Details Archived 23 May 2010 at the Wayback Machine aucklandleague.co.nz
- Mixed fortunes for Jaguars and Hornets in lead up to local derby Archived 27 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine Howick and Pakuranga Times, 28 June 2007
- League clubs in rebuilding phase[permanent dead link] Howick and Pakuranga Times, 22 March 2007
- Hornets win extra time thriller Archived 27 July 2011 at the Wayback Machine Howick and Botany Times, 9 September 2009
- Hornets toast of the town[permanent dead link] Howick and Pakuranga Times, 2 November 2009
- Hornets - pride of Howick[permanent dead link] Howick and Botany Times, 18 August 2010
- First time in top flight[permanent dead link] Howick and Pakuranga Times, 29 April 2010
- One more big scalp claimed Archived 26 July 2010 at the Wayback Machine Howick and Botany Times, 21 July 2010
- Exciting Fox season on the line [permanent dead link] Howick and Pakuranga Times, 5 August 2010
- Top league provinces clash Archived 25 September 2010 at the Wayback Machine Howick and Pakuranga Times, 23 September 2010
- "NSW Cook Islands profile". NSW Cook Islands rugby league. 2009. Archived from the original on 11 July 2010. Retrieved 16 March 2010.
- Luke Laban Archived 24 September 2010 at the Wayback Machine warriors.co.nz