Howard R. Lamar
Howard Roberts Lamar (born November 18, 1923) is a historian of the American West. In addition to being Sterling Professor of History Emeritus at Yale University since 1994, he served as Acting President of Yale University from 1992 to 1993.
Howard R. Lamar
|21st President of Yale University (Acting)|
|Preceded by||Benno C. Schmidt, Jr.|
|Succeeded by||Rick Levin|
|Born||November 18, 1923|
|Alma mater||Yale University, Emory University|
He was born in 1923 in Tuskegee, Alabama, U.S., and was drawn into history in part by his rich family history which includes two United States Supreme Court justices and the second president of the Republic of Texas. He received his B.A. from Emory University in 1945 and his Ph.D. from Yale University in 1951. He was president of Yale from 1992 to 1993, and since 1994 has been a Sterling Professor of History Emeritus at Yale.
The Howard R. Lamar Center for the Study of Frontiers and Borders at Yale University was established in his honor.
- Dakota Territory, 1861–1889
- The Cruise of the Portsmouth, 1845–1847
- The Far Southwest, 1846–1912: A Territorial History
- The Trader on the American Frontier: Myth’s Victim
- The New Encyclopedia of the American West
- Charlie Siringo's West: An Interpretive Biography
- Gould, Lewis L. (2000). "Howard Roberts Lamar" in Clio's Favorites: Leading Historians of the United States, 1945–2000, pp 84-97.
- Rutland, R.A. (2000). Clio's Favorites: Leading Historians of the United States, 1945-2000. University of Missouri Press. p. 84. ISBN 9780826213167. Retrieved 2016-12-21.
- Gould, Lewis L. (2000). "Howard Roberts Lamar" in Clio's Favorites: Leading Historians of the United States, 1945–2000 (Robert Allen Rutland, ed.). Columbia: University of Missouri Press.
- Kelley, Brooks Mather. (1999). Yale: A History. New Haven: Yale University Press. ISBN 978-0-300-07843-5; OCLC 810552
Benno C. Schmidt, Jr.
| President of Yale University