How Cruel is a 12-inch one-sided EP by British singer-songwriter Joan Armatrading, released in November 1979 on A&M. The title track had previously appeared on Armatrading's live album Steppin' Out, which was not released in the US. The EP was released in the US and elsewhere, but not in the UK. It peaked at #19 on the Norwegian Albums Chart. It was nominated for the Grammy Award for Best Female Rock Vocal Performance at the 23rd Annual Grammy Awards in 1981. The single from this EP was "Rosie"/"How Cruel" (1979/1980), which reached #49 in the UK and #52 in Australia. "Rosie" was included on Armatrading's first compilation album, 1983's Track Record, as well as her 2004 live album Live: All the Way from America. All four tracks from this EP were placed at the start of the second CD of Armatrading's 2003 compilation album Love and Affection: Joan Armatrading Classics (1975–1983).
|Recorded||Morgan Studios, London and A&M Studios, Los Angeles|
|Producer||Joan Armatrading, Henry Lewy|
|Joan Armatrading chronology|
All tracks composed by Joan Armatrading.
- "Rosie" – 3:10
- "How Cruel" – 3:04
- "He Wants Her" – 3:15
- "I Really Must Be Going" – 4:27
- Joan Armatrading – lead vocals, acoustic guitar
- Richard Hirsch, Winston Delandro – guitar
- Ben Adkins, Bill Bodine, Durban Betancourt-Laverde – bass
- James Lascelles, Mike Storey, Red Young – keyboards
- Gary Mallaber, Richard Bailey – drums
- Lon Price – saxophone on "How Cruel"
- Ruhlmann, William. How Cruel at AllMusic. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- Larkin, Colin (1997). The Virgin Encyclopedia of Seventies Music. Virgin. p. 19. ISBN 1852279478.
- "Joan Armatrading". Norwegiancharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "Grammy Awards: Best Rock Vocal Performance – Female". Rock on the Net. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- "Rosie / How Cruel" at Discogs (list of releases)
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 29. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992 (Illustrated ed.). St. Ives, N.S.W.: Australian Chart Book. p. 19. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- Connolly, Dave. Track Record at AllMusic. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- Jurek, Thom. Live: All the Way from America at AllMusic. Retrieved 12 May 2017.
- Jurek, Thom. Love and Affection: Joan Armatrading Classics (1975–1983) at AllMusic. Retrieved 12 May 2017.