The Houston Bowl was an NCAA-sanctioned Division I-A college football bowl game that was played annually in Houston, Texas, from 2000 to 2005. For its first two years, the game was known as the galleryfurniture.com Bowl, named for the website of the sponsor, a Houston furniture chain operated by Jim McIngvale. In 2002, the Houston Bowl was born and later named the EV1.net Houston Bowl, after sponsor EV1.net, for the remainder of the game's existence.
|Houston Bowl (defunct)|
|EV1.net Houston Bowl|
|Stadium||Reliant Stadium (2002–05)|
|Conference tie-ins||Big 12 (2000-05)|
|Preceded by||Bluebonnet Bowl (1987)|
|Succeeded by||Texas Bowl (2006)|
galleryfurniture.com Bowl (2000–01)
The bowl initially had tie-ins with the Big 12 Conference and Conference USA. The Big 12 extended their commitment in 2002 and again in 2005. Big 12 teams played in each of the six bowls, compiling a 4–2 record.
After the 2005 game, the bowl failed to return EV1.net as a sponsor. Game management was turned over to the Texans, and the NFL Network changed the game's name to the Texas Bowl. While the 2006 playing of the Texas Bowl maintained continuity of having a Houston-based bowl game, NCAA records treat the Texas Bowl and Houston Bowl as separate games.
|December 27, 2000||East Carolina||40||Texas Tech||27||notes|
|December 28, 2001||Texas A&M||28||TCU||9||notes|
|December 27, 2002||Oklahoma State||33||Southern Miss||23||notes|
|December 30, 2003||Texas Tech||38||Navy||14||notes|
|December 29, 2004||Colorado||33||UTEP||28||notes|
|December 30, 2005||No. 14 TCU||27||Iowa State||24||notes|
|December 27, 2000||David Garrard||East Carolina||QB|
|Bernard Williams||East Carolina||DT|
|December 28, 2001||Byron Jones||Texas A&M||DB|
|Joe Weber||Texas A&M||RB|
|December 27, 2002||Rashaun Woods||Oklahoma State||WR|
|Kevin Williams||Oklahoma State||DT|
|December 30, 2003||B.J. Symons||Texas Tech||QB|
|Adell Duckett||Texas Tech||DL|
|December 29, 2004||Joel Klatt||Colorado||QB|
|December 31, 2005||Jeff Ballard||TCU||QB|
|Jason Berryman||Iowa State||DL|
Appearances by teamEdit
Appearances by conferenceEdit
|Rank||Conference||Appearances||Record||Win %||# of Teams||Teams|
|1||Big 12||6||4–2||.667||5||Texas Tech (1–1)|
|2||C-USA||3||1–2||.333||East Carolina (1–0)|
- "Two More College Bowls". Hartford Courant. April 22, 2000. Retrieved May 20, 2017 – via newspapers.com.
- "Big 12 Signs Contracts with Six Bowls". big12sports.com (Press release). April 4, 2002. Retrieved May 20, 2017.
- "EV1.Net Houston Bowl Extends Alliance With The Big 12 Conference And Adds The Big East Conference And Notre Dame To Its 2006-2009 Matchup". big12sports.com (Press release). November 15, 2005. Retrieved May 20, 2017.
- Duarte, Joseph (18 April 2006). "Houston Bowl in jeopardy". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- Chavez, Ana (29 August 2006). "Texas Bowl Board of Directors announced". houstontexans.com (Press release).
- "NFL Network gets bowl game in Houston". NFL.com. 20 July 2006. Archived from the original on 23 August 2006.