- Hottentot (racial term), both an ethnic term and a term of abuse
Ethnic groups and their languagesEdit
- Khoikhoi, the main ethnic group for which Hottentot was once the usual term in English
- Khoisan, a wider ethnic group including the Khoikhoi for which Hottentot was also widely used
- Hottentot Venus, term used for at least two Khoikhoi women exhibited as freak-show attractions in nineteenth-century Europe
Species of animals and plantsEdit
- Hottentot (fish), a species of sea bream
- Africanis, a species of dog sometimes called 'Hottentot hunting dogs'
- Carpobrotus edulis, commonly known as 'hottentot-fig'
- Trachyandra, commonly known as 'hottentot cabbage'
- Blue-billed teal, a species of bird sometimes called the 'Hotttentot teal'
- Hottentotta, a genus of scorpion