Hot Octopuss is a London-based sex toy company. Founded in 2011 by Julia Margo and Adam Lewis, the first Hot Octopuss, Pulse (stylized as PULSE), also known as the Guybrator, was released in September 2013. The male apparatuses oscillate to stimulate men.
|Founded||March 2011 in London, England|
|Founders||Julia Margo, Adam Lewis|
|Products||Pulse I (stylized as PULSE I) aka The Guybrator, Pulse II Solo, Pulse II Duo, Pulse III Solo, Pulse III Duo|
In 2008, while working in conference management, Lewis had an idea for a durable male sex toy. He discovered an article on Penile Vibratory Stimulation, which described a way to bring about ejaculation in men with spinal cord injuries, regardless of sensation below the waist. He went to Denmark to meet the scientists who had developed equipment to do this and obtained the patents to use the technology in his sex toy.
Lewis and partner Julia Margo created Pulse, which was described by Wired as a "Darth Vader-style vibro helmet for penises,. It sold out in the first six months by word of mouth. In 2015, Pulse II, with a second motor was released. In 2016 the company released Pulse III.
In January 2016, after a Time Out survey revealed that 39% of male New Yorkers masturbated while at work, Hot Octopuss created a masturbation booth called GuyFi in New York City that invited men to self-stimulate their penises to ejaculation.
Hot Octopuss' was featured in "Pillow Talk" that had sex expert, Jenny Block (who blogs regularly for Huffington Post) riding around Manhattan on a four-poster bed. The event was featured on ABC's Nightline.
- Evans, Natalie (August 11, 2016). "Mixing business with pleasure: Meet the man behind the world's first 'guybrator'". Mirror. Retrieved 25 January 2017.
- "PULSE II: the sex toy developed with disabled people in mind". Disability Horizons. August 25, 2015. Retrieved 25 January 2017.
- Brackett, Nancy L. "Semen retrieval by penile vibratory stimulation in men with spinal cord injury". Oxford Journals. Retrieved 25 January 2017.
- Solon, Olivia (November 12, 2013). "The Pulse 'guybrator': A Darth Vader-style vibro-helmet for penises". Wired. Retrieved 25 January 2017.
- Slattery, Denis (January 16, 2016). "Sex toy company unveils Manhattan 'GuyFi' booth — including laptop and Internet — for men to 'relieve stress' during the workday". NY Daily News. Retrieved 25 January 2017.
- Block, Jenny (October 7, 2016). "Pillow Talk: I Rode Around NYC on a Pedal-Powered Bed, Talking to Strangers About Sex". Dallas Observer. Retrieved 25 January 2017.