Hossein Salami (Persian: حسین سلامی, born 1960) is an Iranian military officer with the rank of Major general, who is the commander-in-chief of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).
|Born||1960 (age 60–61)|
|Service/||Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps|
|Years of service||1981–present|
Salami was born in 1960 in Golpayegan, Isfahan province, Iran. In 1978, he was accepted in the mechanical engineering department at the Iran University of Science and Technology. When the Iran–Iraq War started, he joined the IRGC. After the war, he continued his study and graduated with a Master's degree in defense management.
On 20 June 2019, Salami became internationally when the IRGC Overthrew a US surveillance drone.
On 7 January 2020, Salami spoke at the funeral of his comrade in arms and IRGC Quds force subordinate, Qasem Soleimani, who had been killed the previous Friday near Iraq's Baghdad International Airport by a US airstrike: "I say the last word at the beginning: we will take revenge. We will take revenge, a revenge that will be tough, strong, decisive and finishing, and will make them regret."
In the matter of 8 January 2020 termination of UIA flight PS752 due to IRGC missiles, on 13 January Salami went to the Iran Parliament and said "We did made a mistake. Some of our compatriots were martyred because of our mistake but it was unintentional... In my all lifetime I haven't been as sorry as much as now. Never... I wish I had been on board and burned with them... May God forgive us and then after than Iranian people and the families of the victims forgive us. And we for this incident, we were determined all the more to make it up."
On 5 March 2020, Salami said that "We are now dealing with a biological war." He argued that it "may be the product of American biological warfare." This theory was amplified on 8 March by the state-run Press TV.
On 8 April 2019, the US inflicted economic and travel sanctions on the IRGC and organizations, companies, and individuals affiliated with them. Salami said the IRGC was proud that Washington named them as a terrorist group. It was later remarked that Salami was included on the sanctions list as he had been promoted on 21 April commander of the IRGC.
- Commander of IRGC University of Command and Staff (1992–1997)
- Operations deputy of IRGC Joint Staff (1997–2005)
- Commander of IRGC Air Force (2005–2009)
- Academic staff of Supreme National Defense University
- Deputy commander of Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (2009–2019)
- The commander-in-chief of the IRGC (2019–)
In January 2019 Salami said: “We will fight them on the global level, not just in one spot. Our war is not a local war. We have plans to defeat the world powers.”
- Hafezi, Parisa. "Khamenei names new chief for Iran's Revolutionary Guards". reuters.
- "Iranian Guard commander: Our 'hands remain on the trigger' to attack Israel". The Journalism post. 11 March 2014. Retrieved 27 April 2016.
- "خبرگزاری فارس - سردار سلامي جانشين فرمانده كل سپاه شد" [Sardar Salami succeeds the commanding officer] (in Persian). Fars News Agency. 4 October 2009.
- Gladstone, Rick. "Iran's Supreme Leader Replaces Head of Revolutionary Guards". NYT. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- "Biography of Hossein Salami". Shakhsiat Negar. Retrieved 27 April 2016.
- Oweis, Khaled Yacoub. "Iran's Hossein Salami: A top practitioner of psychological warfare".
- Mu, Xuequan (7 January 2020). "Iran's guards commander vows "severe revenge" on U.S. over Soleimani's assassination". Xinhua.
- Ma, Alexandra (7 January 2020). "Photos of Iranians flooding the streets for Soleimani's funeral show how much he was revered, and hint at how hard Iran may strike back". Business Insider.
- "CNN: Iranian military official offers apology for Ukraine plane crash". UNIAN.NET. 13 January 2020.
- Frantzman S (8 March 2020). "Iran's regime pushes antisemitic conspiracies about coronavirus". The Jerusalem Post. Archived from the original on 10 March 2020. Retrieved 11 March 2020.
- Office of the Spokesman. "Designation of Iranian". United States Department of State.
- "Resolution 1747 (2007)" (PDF). United Nations. 24 March 2007.[failed verification]
- "list of sanctions companies and individuals".[failed verification]
- "Khamenei changed the commander of the Revolutionary Guards; "Salami" has repeatedly mentioned the missile threat of Israel and the West" (in Persian). VOA News.[when?]
- Wong, Edward; Schmitt, Eric. "Trump Designates Iran's Revolutionary Guards a Foreign Terrorist Group". nytimes.
- Zimmt, Dr. Raz. "Hossein Salami The New Commander of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps" (PDF).
- "Commander Brothers". farsnews.
- "The brothers: New IRGC leader Salami has influential brother in Iranian armed forces".
- "Deputy top commander: Iran standing against threats powerfully".
- "Saudi Arabia to collapse over 'sectarian' policies: Iranian general". The Tehran Times. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- "'Iran's strategy is to wipe Israel off political geography'". Mehr News Agency. 28 January 2019. Retrieved 19 January 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hossein Salami.|
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Hossein Salami|