Horse Island Light, also known as Sackets Harbor Light, is located on Horse Island in Sackets Harbor, Jefferson County in New York on Lake Ontario. In July 2017 the 24-acre island was acquired for preservation by the Civil War Trust, aided by a grant from the National Park Service. This was the first grant in the United States made for a War of 1812 site under the NPS battlefield grants program.
|Location||Horse Island, Sackets Harbor, Jefferson County, US|
|Construction||limestone (foundation), brick (tower)|
|Height||21 m (69 ft)|
|Markings||white (tower), black (lantern)|
|Lens||fifth order Fresnel lens|
|Focal height||57 ft (17 m)|
|Range||5 mi (8.0 km)|
|Characteristic||Fl W 2.5s|
A modern steel skeletal tower replaced the lighthouse as an Aid to Navigation in 1957, and the lighthouse and property were sold. It is now in private hands and not open to the public. The keepers quarters were built in 1870, and consisted of a 1+1⁄2 story Queen Anne/Italianate brick house. There was also a barn and oil house on the property.
During the War of 1812, the British used Horse Island as a staging area before the Battle of Sackett's Harbor. In July 2017, the 24-acre Horse Island, located near the village, was acquired for preservation by the Civil War Trust, aided by a grant from the National Park Service. It was the site of a War of 1812 engagement. This was the first time in the US that a grant from the American Battlefield Land Grant program has been used to preserve a War of 1812 site.
The lighthouse keeper at one time was Schuyler Shibley Simmons.
- Daniel E. Dempster; Todd R. Berge (2002). Lighthouses of the Great Lakes. p. 146. ISBN 9781610604376.
- "Campaign 1776 Announces First Battlefield Preservation Victories in New York State", Civil War Trust
- ARLHS World List of Lights
- National Park Service's Maritime Heritage Program's Inventory of NY Historic Light Stations
- Light List, Volume VII, Great Lakes (PDF). Light List. United States Coast Guard.
- Oleszewski, Wes. Great Lakes Lighthouses, American and Canadian: A Comprehensive Directory/Guide to Great Lakes Lighthouses, (Gwinn, Michigan: Avery Color Studios, Inc., 1998) ISBN 0-932212-98-0.
- Price, Scott T. "U. S. Coast Guard Aids to Navigation: A Historical Bibliography". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office.
- U.S. Coast Guard. Historically Famous Lighthouses (Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1957).
- Wright, Larry and Wright, Patricia. Great Lakes Lighthouses Encyclopedia Hardback (Erin: Boston Mills Press, 2006) ISBN 1-55046-399-3
- Lighthouse Friends site
- "Historic Light Station Information and Photography: New York". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office. Archived from the original on 2017-05-01.
- National Park Service Historic Lighthouses
- NPS Horse Island