Home Command (British Army)
Home Command, previously Personnel and Support Command, is a personnel support and UK operations command of the British Army. The post of Commander PSC previously replaced that of Adjutant-General to the Forces, and then had British Isles responsibilities, including Support Command (British Army) and civil contingencies tasks, added to it.
|Active||Home Command 2016–present|
Personnel and Support Command 2015–2016
|Part of||British Army|
|Garrison/HQ||Montgomery House, Aldershot|
In 2015 the post of the Army's Adjutant-General to the Forces was eliminated, and re-designated Commander Personnel and Support Command. In April 2016, Personnel and Support Command was renamed as Home Command.
Headquarters Home Command is located at Montgomery House in Aldershot and provides the Army’s personnel and institutional support. It assumed responsibility for the delivery elements of the Adjutant General’s portfolio: recruiting; individual training (officers and soldiers); career management and postings. The Command therefore includes the Military Secretary’s Organisation and the Army Personnel Centre (established 1996 at Kentigern House, Glasgow, responsible for records, careers, pay, pensions, documentation etc), the Army Recruiting and Training Division and the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst. Home Command also includes Regional Command to provide the Army’s institutional support, including: civil engagement, cadets, Firm Base and Garrisons, Recovery Capability, welfare, and veterans, including the Regular Reserve. In summary, it "provides personnel and institutional support to the Army."
Commander Home Command is also the Standing Joint Commander (SJC(UK)) responsible for the planning and execution of civil contingency operations within the UK landmass and territorial waters during any required Military Aid to the Civil Authorities. HQ SJC(UK) is Defence’s operational headquarters responsible for resilience operations and contingency planning in support of the civil authorities in the UK. This headquarters was formed in 2004, with the then Commander-in-Chief, Land Forces as the SJC(UK). In the intervening years the post was downgraded to a lieutenant general. When Personnel Support Command was established in 2015, it was decided that the role of SJC(UK) Commander was to transfer to Commander PSC in Aldershot. In due course PSC became Home Command. However, military and civilian personnel remained in Andover, thereby separating the Commander from his Headquarters.
In 2016 work commenced to relocate HQ SJC(UK) to Aldershot, bringing the Commander together with his staff and thus improving the operational effectiveness of the HQ. It totals 23 personnel from all three services.The transfer to Montgomery House in Aldershot was completed in late October 2017.
In mid-2018 Home Command consisted of Regional Command, London District, the Army Recruiting and Training Division, the Army Personnel Centre, and Sandhurst Group. In early 2017 there were 155 military and 511 civilian personnel making up the Army Personnel Centre. Later, Army Recruiting and Training Division was renamed as Recruiting and Initial Training Command.
Lists of CommandersEdit
See also: List of Adjutants-General to the Forces
Commander Personnel and Support CommandEdit
Commander Home CommandEdit
- "A new painting marks Army's relationship with Scotland over last 100 years". Ministry of Defence. 7 October 2005. Retrieved 15 November 2015.
- "Outlet" (PDF). Defence Fire Risk Management Organisation. November 2015. Retrieved 4 January 2016.
- "Red Devils drop in to deliver Aldershot Army HQ's flag". getHampshire. Retrieved 22 May 2016.
- "Freedom of Information Act release from Joint Forces Command" (PDF). Ministry of Defence. Retrieved 23 January 2016.
- "Land Forces senior, as of September 2015". Retrieved 5 March 2016.
- "Oral evidence - SDSR 2015 and the Army - 14 Jun 2016". UK Hansard. Retrieved 16 June 2016.
- "2015 to 2020 government policy: Military Aid to the Civil Authorities for activities in the UK". UK Ministry of Defence. Retrieved 4 August 2016.
- "Aldershot becomes home to Headquarter Standing Joint Commander (UK) • The Military Times". The Military Times. 2017-10-24. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- "Army Structure". Ministry of Defence. Retrieved 24 May 2018.
- "The Friends of the Royal Memorial Chapel Summer 2018" (PDF). Retrieved 18 August 2019.
- Mackie, Colin (18 August 2019). "Senior Army Commands, 1860" (PDF). gulabin.com. Colin Mackie. Retrieved 18 August 2019.
Governor/Commandant, Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst (and GOC, Army Recruiting and Initial Training Command)
- "Commander opens new military sports facilities in Catterick Garrison". Richardmondshire today. 18 May 2018. Retrieved 18 May 2018.