Hollywood Casino Toledo
Hollywood Casino Toledo is a casino in Toledo, Ohio, that opened on May 29, 2012. The casino is owned by Gaming and Leisure Properties and operated by Penn National Gaming, and has 125,000 square feet (11,600 m2) of gaming space, with 2,002 slot machines, 60 table games, and 20 poker tables.
|Hollywood Casino Toledo|
|Address||777 Hollywood Boulevard|
|Opening date||May 29, 2012|
|Total gaming space||125,000 sq ft (11,600 m2)|
|Owner||Gaming and Leisure Properties|
|Operating license holder||Penn National Gaming|
After four failed attempts since 1990 to legalize casinos in Ohio, a fifth proposal was placed on the ballot in 2009 to allow casinos at four specific sites, one in each of the state's largest cities. The major backers were Penn National, which would build the casinos in Toledo and Columbus, and Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert, who would develop the Cleveland and Cincinnati properties. Critics charged that Penn National did not truly intend to build the Toledo casino, which would face stiff competition from Detroit casinos, and only wanted to generate support from local voters. Nevertheless, the measure passed, with 53 percent support both in Lucas County and the state as a whole.
Days before the election, Penn National had struck a deal with Lakes Entertainment, a Minnesota-based gaming operator whose 2008 Ohio casino proposal Penn had fought hard to defeat. Lakes paid for 10 percent of the referendum campaign, and received an option to invest in up to 10 percent of the Toledo and Columbus casinos. Penn National bought out Lakes's interest in the projects for $25 million before construction began, after Lakes had paid $1.9 million.
After the measure passed, Penn National exercised its option to buy the 44-acre property on the Maumee River at Interstate 75, site of a former Pilkington glass plant, for $2.5 million. Construction began in August 2010.
In 2011, Governor John Kasich agreed to allow video lottery terminals at Ohio's seven racetracks, including Penn National's Raceway Park in Toledo. To avoid having its own racino compete with the Hollywood Casino, Penn sought state approval to move Raceway Park to the Youngstown area.
In 2015, Hollywoodcasino.com was introduced as the digital casino for all Hollywood properties.
- Henkel, Karl (May 22, 2012). "Hollywood Casino in Toledo betting on luring Michigan visitors". The Detroit News. Archived from the original on 2012-06-19. Retrieved 2012-05-23.
- Helms, Matt (May 22, 2012). "Toledo's flashy new casino could draw gamblers from Detroit". Detroit Free Press. Archived from the original on 2012-06-26. Retrieved 2012-05-23.
- Provance, Jim (October 30, 2009). "Voters to decide hotly contested gaming proposal". The Blade. Toledo. Retrieved 2012-05-23.
- Jim Provance; Ignazio Messina (November 5, 2009). "Toledo casino will be built in 2 1/2 years, company says". The Blade. Toledo. Retrieved 2012-05-23.
- Troy, Tom (October 2, 2009). "Gaming exec: Toledo casino a sure bet". The Blade. Toledo. Retrieved 2012-05-23.
- Provance, Jim (November 6, 2009). "Minneapolis player joins casino venture". The Blade. Toledo. Retrieved 2012-05-23.
- "Lakes Entertainment announces passage of Ohio referendum" (Press release). Lakes Entertainment. November 5, 2009. Retrieved 2012-05-23.
- "Firm cashes out from pair of Ohio casino deals". The Blade. Toledo. July 15, 2010. Retrieved 2012-05-23.
- Ryan, Carl (December 31, 2009). "Penn National pays $2.5M for property, site of new casino in East Toledo". The Blade. Toledo. Retrieved 2012-05-23.
- Provance, Jim (March 12, 2009). "Casino plan fancies site on Toledo riverfront". The Blade. Toledo. Retrieved 2012-05-23.
- Feehan, Jennifer (August 13, 2010). "Penn breaks ground for E. Toledo casino". The Blade. Toledo. Retrieved 2012-05-23.
- Provance, Jim (June 17, 2011). "2 casinos to pay $110M more in tax". The Blade. Toledo. Retrieved 2012-05-23.
- Davis, Dave (March 16, 2012). "Penn National Gaming gets Ohio Gov. John Kasich's OK to move horse tracks to Dayton, Austintown". The Plain Dealer. Cleveland. Retrieved 2012-05-23.
- "Casino Locations | Hollywood Casino". www.hollywoodcasino.com. Retrieved 2016-12-16.