High on the Hog (The Band album)
High on the Hog is the ninth studio album by Canadian-American rock group the Band, released in 1996. As with its predecessor, 1993's Jericho, it relies heavily on cover versions; only two tracks are original. Songs include Bob Dylan's "Forever Young" (which was intended as a tribute to Jerry Garcia), a live recording of Richard Manuel (who had died ten years prior) performing "She Knows", and the closer "Ramble Jungle" (which features vocals by Champion Jack Dupree).
|High on the Hog|
|Studio album by|
|Released||February 27, 1996|
|Recorded||1995; except "Ramble Jungle", 1990/1991 and 1995, and "She Knows", January 19, 1986|
|Producer||Aaron Hurwitz, Garth Hudson|
|The Band chronology|
|1.||"Stand Up"||Bruce Channel, Sonny Throckmorton, Ricky Ray Rector||3:07|
|2.||"Back to Memphis"||Johnnie Johnson, A. Kenney, M. Orr, G. Martin, F. Young, R. Young||5:10|
|3.||"Where I Should Always Be"||Blondie Chaplin||4:27|
|4.||"Free Your Mind"||Denzil Foster, Thomas McElroy||5:05|
|5.||"Forever Young"||Bob Dylan||6:30|
|6.||"The High Price of Love"||Jules Shear, Stan Szelest||5:58|
|7.||"Crazy Mama"||J. J. Cale||4:48|
|8.||"I Must Love You Too Much"||Bob Dylan, Helena Springs||3:32|
|9.||"She Knows"||James Griffin, Robb Royer||3:21|
|10.||"Ramble Jungle"||Randy Ciarlante, Jack Dupree, Levon Helm, Garth Hudson, Rob Leon, Jim Weider||4:59|
The European and Japanese pressings of the album included a bonus track, "Young Blood", which only appeared in the US on a tribute album to Doc Pomus and which is the only release by the group to include vocals by multi-instrumentalist Garth Hudson. A 2006 CD release on the U.S. label Titan/Pyramid Records includes two bonus tracks, the first of which is "Young Blood"; the other is the Sam Cooke cover "Chain Gang", which was previously unreleased.
- The Band
- Rick Danko – acoustic and electric bass, acoustic guitar, vocals
- Levon Helm – drums, bass guitar, harmonica, vocals
- Garth Hudson – keyboards, soprano, alto, tenor, baritone and bass saxophone, accordion, organ, trumpet, vocals on bonus track "Young Blood"
- Richard Manuel – piano and vocals on "She Knows"
- Jim Weider – guitars, bass guitar
- Randy Ciarlante – drums, percussion, vocals
- Richard Bell – piano, keyboards, keyboard bass, horns
- Additional personnel
- Tom Malone – trombone, trumpet and baritone saxophone on "Stand Up", "Free Your Mind" and "Ramble Jungle"
- Ron Finck – tenor saxophone and flute on "Stand Up", "Free Your Mind" and "Ramble Jungle"
- Howard Johnson – baritone saxophone on "Stand Up" and "Free Your Mind"
- Blondie Chaplin – acoustic guitar and vocals on "Crazy Mama" and "I Must Love You Too Much"
- Colin Linden – acoustic guitar on "Forever Young"
- Larry Packer – violin and viola on "She Knows"
- Frank Luther – string bass on "She Knows"
- Jason Myles – harp emulation and programming on "She Knows"
- Champion Jack Dupree – vocals on "Ramble Jungle"
- Kenn Lending – guitar on "Ramble Jungle"
- Rob Leon – bass guitar on "Ramble Jungle"
- Maud Hudson – backing vocals on "I Must Love You Too Much"
- Marie Spinosa – backing vocals on "I Must Love You Too Much"
- Ian Kimmett – backing vocals on "I Must Love You Too Much"
- Horns arranged by Garth Hudson, Richard Bell, Levon Helm, Aaron Hurwitz and Tom Malone
- Co-produced and engineered by Aaron Professor Louie Hurwitz