High Point station
High Point is an intermodal transit station in High Point, North Carolina, United States. Its main building serves as an Amtrak train station, while the Broad Avenue Terminal serves as the bus terminus for both High Point Transit System (HPTS) and the Piedmont Authority for Regional Transportation (PART). The station is located in downtown High Point and near the West High Street Historic District.
|Amtrak inter-city rail station|
|Location||100 West High Avenue|
High Point, NC
|Owned by||City of High Point|
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Connections||Amtrak Thruway Motorcoach|
|Parking||73 spaces; free|
|Architectural style||Richardsonian Romanesque|
|Status||Unstaffed; attendant available|
|Station code||HPT (Amtrak)|
|Original company||Southern Railway|
|Passengers (FY2018)||31,048 0.75%|
High Point Station was originally built in 1907, by Southern Railway, and was designed in Richardsonian Romanesque, with a rusticated ashlar base and a tiled hip roof. In the late 1930s, a trench was dug so rail and automobile traffic would not impede each other through downtown High Point; a walkway across the tracks and a staircase to an island platform at track level was constructed. In 1979, Amtrak took over passenger operations at the station from Southern Railway. Between 2002 and 2003, a $6.8 million renovation project was done that included making the station ADA compliant; the station reopened on December 9, 2003.
The train station, operated by Amtrak, provides inter-city rail service via three routes: Crescent, Carolinian and Piedmont; it also has connecting Amtrak Thruway Motorcoach service to Winston-Salem, operated by PART and designated as Route 5 (NC Amtrak Connector). Amtrak operating hours are at 12:00am-4:00am, 7:00am-12:30pm and 3:30pm-9:00pm; it includes a Quik-Trak kiosk, waiting area and restrooms. No baggage service is available at this station. A station attendant is available on-site during operating hours.
The Broad Avenue Terminal, operated by HPTS, provides local bus service that operate Monday-Friday at 5:45am-7:30pm and Saturday at 8:45am-5:30pm, closed on Sunday. PART also operates two intercity bus routes from the terminal, Route 3 (High Point Express) and Route 9 (Davidson Business 85 Express), which travel to Greensboro and Thomasville/Lexington respectively.
The station building is located on West High Avenue, with a walkway that goes across a 35 ft (11 m) deep trench to the Broad Avenue Terminal. The station's island platform is located in the trench, connected to the walkway by stairs and an elevator.
|G||Street Level||Exit/entrance, station building, walkway, parking, bus and bus terminal|
|P||Track 1||← Amtrak →|
|Track 2||← Amtrak →|
- "High Point, NC (HPT) - Great American Stations". Amtrak's Great American Stations. Retrieved July 17, 2019.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2017, State of North Carolina" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2017. Retrieved February 3, 2019.
- "Route 5 – NC Amtrak Connector". PART. June 4, 2018. Retrieved July 18, 2019.
- "Hamlet, North Carolina Train Station (HAM) - Amtrak". Retrieved February 3, 2019.
- "High Point, North Carolina Train Station (HPT) - Amtrak". Retrieved July 18, 2019.
- "High Point Train Schedule - North Carolina Amtrak Service". Retrieved July 18, 2019.
- "City of High Point Transit System Map" (PDF). Hi tran. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-12-22. Retrieved December 14, 2015.
- "Transit - High Point, NC". City of High Point. Retrieved April 28, 2018.
- "Route 3 – High Point Express". PART. November 6, 2017. Retrieved July 18, 2019.
- "Route 9 – Davidson Business 85 Express". PART. July 3, 2017. Retrieved July 18, 2019.
- High Point, NC – Amtrak
- High Point Amtrak Station (USA Rail Guide -- Train Web)
- Great American Stations - High Point
|This North Carolina train station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|