Higashi-Kawaguchi Station (東川口駅, Higashi-Kawaguchi-eki) is a railway station in Kawaguchi, Saitama, Japan, jointly operated by East Japan Railway Company (JR East) and the third sector railway operator Saitama Railway Corporation.
The south side of the JR East station with the entrance to the Saitama Railway station on the right, May 2008
The Saitama Railway Station is served by the 14.6 km Saitama Rapid Railway Line, which extends from Akabane-iwabuchi in Kita, Tokyo to Urawa-Misono in Midori-ku, Saitama, and lies 12.2 km from the starting point of the line at Akabane-iwabuchi. The majority of services on the line continue southward onto the Tokyo Metro Namboku Line to Meguro and on the Tokyu Meguro Line to Hiyoshi in Kanagawa Prefecture.
The JR East part of the station consists of an elevated island platform serving two tracks, with the station building located underneath. The Saitama Railway part of the station is located underground, and also consists of an island platform serving two tracks.
|JR East station|
JR East Higashi-Kawaguchi Station south entrance, June 2012
|Location||1 Tozuka, Kawaguchi-shi, Saitama-ken|
|Operated by||JR East|
|Line(s)||■ Musashino Line|
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Passengers (FY2014)||33,065 daily|
|1||Musashino Line||for Minami-Urawa, Nishi-Kokubunji, and Fuchūhommachi|
|2||Musashino Line||for Minami-Koshigaya, Shim-Matsudo, Nishi-Funabashi, Tokyo and Kaihimmakuhari|
The station has a "Midori no Madoguchi" staffed ticket office.
|Holiday Kaisoku Kamakura: Does not stop at this station|
|Saitama Railway Corporation station|
Saitama Railway Higashi-Kawaguchi Station No.2 entrance, November 2007
|Location||1-1-1 Higashi-Kawaguchi, Kawaguchi-shi, Saitama-ken|
|Operated by||Saitama Railway Corporation|
|Line(s)||Saitama Rapid Railway Line|
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Passengers (FY2014)||13,875 daily|
|1||■ Saitama Rapid Railway Line||for Urawa-Misono|
|2||■ Saitama Rapid Railway Line||for Akabane-iwabuchi|
Tokyo Metro Namboku Line for Meguro
Tokyu Meguro Line for Hiyoshi
Facilities and accessibilityEdit
The station concourse and platforms have elevator access. Universal access toilets are available on the concourse level.
|Saitama Rapid Railway Line|
In fiscal 2014, the JR East station was used by an average of 33,065 passengers daily (boarding passengers only). In fiscal 2011, the Saitama Railway station was used by an average of 13,857 passengers daily (boarding passengers only). The JR East passenger figures for previous years are as shown below.
|Fiscal year||Daily average|
The JR East station opened on April 1, 1973, as one of the original stations on the then-Japanese National Railways (JNR) Musashino Line. With the privatization of JNR on 1 April 1987, the station came under the control of JR East. The Saitama Rapid Railway Line opened on 28 March 2001.
- Terada, Hirokazu (19 January 2013). データブック日本の私鉄 [Databook: Japan's Private Railways]. Japan: Neko Publishing. p. 216. ISBN 978-4-7770-1336-4.
- 各駅の乗車人員 (2014年度) [Station passenger figures (Fiscal 2014)] (in Japanese). Japan: East Japan Railway Company. 2014. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- 埼玉高速鉄道輸送状況 [Saitama High Speed Railway Passenger figures] (in Japanese). Japan: Saitama Railway Company. 2014. Retrieved 2 February 2016.
- 各駅の乗車人員 (2000年度) [Station passenger figures (Fiscal 2000)] (in Japanese). Japan: East Japan Railway Company. 2001. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- 各駅の乗車人員 (2005年度) [Station passenger figures (Fiscal 2005)] (in Japanese). Japan: East Japan Railway Company. 2006. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- 各駅の乗車人員 (2010年度) [Station passenger figures (Fiscal 2010)] (in Japanese). Japan: East Japan Railway Company. 2011. Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- Ishino, Tetsu, ed. (1998). 停車場変遷大辞典 国鉄・JR編 [Station Transition Directory - JNR/JR]. II. Japan: JTB. p. 74. ISBN 4-533-02980-9.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Higashi-Kawaguchi Station.|
- Higashi-Kawaguchi Station (JR East) (in Japanese)
- Higashi-Kawaguchi Station (Saitama Railway) (in Japanese)
- Higashi-Kawaguchi Station (Saitama Prefectural Government) (in Japanese)