Fillmyer with the Storm Chasers in 2018
|Kansas City Royals – No. 49|
|Born: May 16, 1994|
Roebling, New Jersey
|June 24, 2018, for the Kansas City Royals|
|MLB statistics |
(through April 26, 2019)
|Earned run average||4.99|
A resident of the Roebling section in Florence Township, New Jersey, Fillmyer attended Florence Township Memorial High School and played college baseball at Mercer County Community College. He was drafted by the Colorado Rockies in the 28th round of the 2013 Major League Baseball draft, but did not sign and returned to Mercer County. He was then drafted by the Oakland Athletics in the fifth round of the 2014 MLB draft.
Fillmyer made his professional debut with the Arizona League Athletics, going 1-0 with a 2.79 ERA in six games, and pitched 2015 with the Beloit Snappers, where he posted a 3-13 record with a 4.98 ERA in 23 games. He started 2016 with the Stockton Ports and was promoted to the Double-A Midland RockHounds during the season; he went a combined 7-6 record with a 3.29 ERA. In 2017, he pitched for Midland, posting an 11-5 record with a 3.49 ERA. The Athletics added him to their 40-man roster after the season.
On January 29, 2018, Fillmyer and Jesse Hahn were traded to the Kansas City Royals in exchange for Brandon Moss and Ryan Buchter. On June 19, 2018, the Royals called up Fillmyer. He made his major league debut on June 24, 2018, pitching four innings of mop-up duty in an 11-3 loss against the Houston Astros. Fillmyer was permanently made a part of the Royals’ rotation on July 23, where he made 12 starts. He finished the season with a 4.26 ERA. His finest start of the 2018 season came on August 9, when he threw seven shutout innings against the Chicago Cubs. He also collected his first Major League hit on September 26, an RBI double off of Cincinnati Reds reliever Matt Wisler.
- Fisher, Rich. "Mercer's Heath Fillmyer drawing attention of scouts across the country". The Trentonian.
- "Mercer County Community College pitcher Heath Fillmyer is poised to move up the draft board".
- "MCCC's Heath Fillmyer gets drafted by Oakland Athletics".
- "ROCKHOUNDS: Midland's Fillmyer relishing the 'Game of Failure'". 18 August 2016.
- "Heath Fillmyer Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". Retrieved October 31, 2017.
- "Athletics add 3 players to 40-man roster". MLB.com.
- Lee, Jane (January 29, 2018). "A's add Moss, lefty Buchter in deal with Royals". mlb.com. Retrieved January 30, 2018.
- "Royals' Heath Fillmyer: Joins big club Tuesday". CBSSports.com. Retrieved 2018-06-20.
- "An eight-run inning dooms Jason Hammel, Royals in loss to Astros". kansascity. Retrieved 2018-06-30.