Heartaches by the Number
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|"Heartaches by the Number"|
|Single by Guy Mitchell|
|Format||45 rpm record|
|Guy Mitchell singles chronology|
Guy Mitchell versionEdit
The biggest hit version was recorded by Guy Mitchell on August 24, 1959. It reached the #1 spot on the Billboard Hot 100 for the weeks of December 14 and December 21, 1959. The recording was released by Columbia Records as catalog number 41476. This would be Mitchell's second pop chart topper (after "Singing the Blues"); it was also his last top-40 single in the Billboard charts. Columbia first issued a mono recording by Mitchell as a 7" 45 rpm single, which became the hit. Columbia later issued a stereo version of the song, also by Mitchell; however, the mono and stereo issues are in fact two completely different recordings. The hit version has never appeared in stereo and has appeared on only a lone compact disc release (Hit Parade Records 12311, Hard to Find Jukebox Classics 1959: Pop Gold.) The video game Fallout: New Vegas does not feature his original Columbia Records version; rather it is a 1980 re-recording made for K-Tel records.
Other notable recordingsEdit
- 1959 Ray Price - recorded before the Guy Mitchell version.(Columbia 41374). Price's version reached number two and spent 40 weeks on the Billboard Hot C&W Sides chart.
- 1961 George Jones - his version of the song was included on the Mercury label album George Jones Sings Country and Western Hits (MG 20624/SR 60624).
- 1961 Kitty Wells recorded a version for her LP Heartbreak U.S.A..
- 1961 Buck Owens - included in his album Buck Owens Sings Harlan Howard.
- 1962 Connie Francis for the album Country Music - Connie Style.
- 1962 Leroy Van Dyke on the Mercury album Walk on By (MG 20682/SR 60682).
- 1972 Jack Reno reached #26 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles chart.
- 1965 Bing Crosby - recorded for his album Bing Crosby Sings the Great Country Hits.
- 1965 Johnny Tillotson a single release on the MGM label.
- 1966 Willie Nelson included on his album Country Favorites-Willie Nelson Style.
- 1967 Waylon Jennings for the album Waylon Sings Ol' Harlan.
- 1968 Burl Ives on the Decca album The Big Country Hits.
- 1969 Jerry Lee Lewis included in the album Sings the Country Music Hall of Fame Hits, Vol. 1.
- 1969 Country Joe and the Fish - Performed at Woodstock
- 1970 Jane Morgan - included in her album Jane Morgan - In Nashville.
- 1983 The Kendalls for the album 20 Favorites
- 1986 Dwight Yoakam included on his debut studio album Guitars, Cadillacs, Etc., Etc..
- 2005 Martina McBride (featuring Dwight Yoakam) for her album Timeless.
- 2009 Rosanne Cash (featuring Elvis Costello) in the album The List.
- 2013 The Playtones for their album In the Mood.
- 2014 Mary Sarah in a duet version featuring Ray Price included in her album Bridges: Great American Country Duets.
- 2016 Cyndi Lauper covered the song for studio album Detour.
|U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles||2|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||1|
|U.K. Singles Charts||5|
|U.S. Hot Rhythm & Blues Singles||19|
|German Singles Charts||2|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||35|
|U.S. Adult Contemporary||4|
|Canadian RPM Top Singles||14|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles||26|
- Billboard Jan 11, 1960. page 48
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits: Eighth Edition. Record Research. p. 431.
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. p. 347. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
- "allmusic.com". allmusic.com. Retrieved May 23, 2017.
- Steffen Hung. "Guy Mitchell - Heartaches By The Number". Norwegiancharts.com. Retrieved 2016-08-29.