Heart's Desire (1935 film)
Heart's Desire is a 1935 British musical drama film directed by Paul L. Stein and starring Richard Tauber, Leonora Corbett, Kathleen Kelly, Diana Napier and Frank Vosper. Its plot involves a young opera singer who is discovered in Vienna and brought to London where he rises to stardom. The film was made at Elstree Studios in April/May 1935, and had its charity premiere at the Regal Cinema, Marble Arch, London on 17 October that year. It was part of a cycle of British operetta films.
Sheet music tie-in
|Directed by||Paul L. Stein|
|Produced by||Walter C. Mycroft|
|Written by||Roger Burford |
Lawrence du Garde Peach
|Music by||G.H. Clutsam|
|Cinematography||John C. Cox|
|Edited by||Leslie Norman|
|Distributed by||Wardour Films|
- Richard Tauber as Karl August Franz Ludwig Josef Steidler
- Leonora Corbett as Frances Wilson
- Carl Harbord as Oliver Desmond
- Paul Graetz as Florian
- Kathleen Kelly as Anna
- George Graves as Granville Wilson
- C. Denier Warren as Ted Mayer
- Diana Napier as Diana Sheraton
- Frank Vosper as Van Straaten
- Viola Tree as Lady Bennington
- Hilda Campbell-Russell as Steidler's Maid
In a contemporary review, The Sydney Morning Herald wrote "This plot makes few demands upon Mr Tauber as actor and enables the audience to enjoy his magnificent singing without much interruption...It would be impossible one imagines, for Mr Tauber to navigate his way through a film that was stronger dramatically than this one. A film in which he appears becomes a pleasant alternative to a series of his phonograph records. From this point of view the producers of 'Heart's Desire' have succeeded admirably."
- Bock & Bergfelder p.467
- "BFI | Film & TV Database | HEART'S DESIRE (1935)". Ftvdb.bfi.org.uk. 16 April 2009. Retrieved 20 February 2012.
- ""HEART'S DESIRE."". 18 November 1935. p. 6 – via Trove.
- Bock, Hans-Michael & Bergfelder, Tim. The Concise Cinegraph: Encyclopaedia of German Cinema. Berghahn Books, 2009.
|This article related to a British film of the 1930s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a romantic musical film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|