Hapoel Balfouria F.C.
|Full name||Hapoel Balfouria Football Club |
|Ground||Hapoel Afula Ground, Afula|
|1964–65||Liga Gimel Valleys, 11th|
Hapoel were promoted to Liga Alef (then the top division) in 1953. In their first season at the top level they finished last, with only four wins in 22 matches. However, they were not relegated as the top flight was expanded to 14 clubs with the establishment of Liga Leumit in 1954. The 1954–55 season saw the club again finish last. They conceded 129 goals, still a league record, and twice lost by more than 10 goals (2–13 to Hapoel Petah Tikva and 0–12 at Maccabi Tel Aviv). At the end of the season they were relegated to Liga Alef, and in the following season, they suffered subsequent relegation to Liga Bet. in 1956–57 they won the North division of Liga Bet and made an immediate return to Liga Alef.
In the Israel State Cup, the biggest achievement of the club was reaching the Quarter-finals in the 1956–57 season. after 5–2 victory over Hakoah Tel Aviv in the round of 16, Balfouria was defeated 1–4 by Maccabi Jaffa in the Quarter-finals.
In the 1957–58 season, while playing in the second division, the club was officially known as Hapoel Afula, although they were mentioned by the press in both Hapoel Balfouria and Hapoel Afula names. The club continued to play as Hapoel Afula, and the name of Balfouria was dropped.
In the 1963–64 season, there was an attempt to revive the club. However, that attempt was short-lived, as the re-established club existed for two seasons only, finishing second bottom and bottom respectively in Liga Gimel Valleys Division. Furthermore, up to the double season of 1966–68, another club consisting of former players, Hapoel Vatikei Balfouria (lit. Hapoel Balfouria Veterans) operated in Balfouria. No football club operated in Balfouria ever since.
- Trivia on the Israeli League 1949/50-2004/05 RSSSF
- Hapoel Balfouria 1 Hapoel Petah Tikva 5 Hapoel Petah Tikva Museum
- FA Operated Maariv, 29.8.54, Historical Jewish Press (in Hebrew)
- Bnei Yehuda 0–3 defeat to Kiryat Haim increase chances of Beitar Heruth, 20.4.58, Historical Jewish Press (in Hebrew)
- Hapoel Balfouria and Beer Sheva in Liga Alef Davar, 14.6.59, Historical Jewish Press (in Hebrew)
- 11 Matches in the State Cup Davar, 26.9.66, Historical Jewish Press (in Hebrew)