Guy Baldwin, M.S. (b. 1946) is a Los Angeles-based psychotherapist, author, activist, and educator specializing in issues of particular relevance to the BDSM and leather communities, and more generally in issues relating to non-heteronormative practices. He maintains that inclusion of non-injurious elements of sadomasochism (bondage, flagellation, domination, submission and others) in a consenting sexuality does not itself indicate or confirm mental illness or psycho-sexual dysfunction.
|Residence||Los Angeles, California|
|Parent(s)||Oa Baldwin and Carolyn Baldwin|
See Guy Melfort Baldwin for the British Indian Army brigadier-general
He is co-founder with Race Bannon of an internet-based professional referral resource, the Kink Aware Professionals list (KAP list), now administered by the National Coalition for Sexual Freedom. He continues to teach at various lifestyle events across the U.S. and Canada.
- 1994 received a Pantheon of Leather West Coast Regional Award
- 2000 named a Centurion by the Leather Archives and Museum
- 2001 received a Pantheon of Leather Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2004 inducted into Society of Janus Hall of Fame
- 2007 received a Pantheon of Leather Forbear Award
- 2008 awarded the Leather Leadership Award by the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
- 2009 received the first ever Guy Baldwin Heritage Award at Master/slave Conference
- 2010 received the Berman/Schaffer Award from Christopher Street West
- 2010 received a citation from the West Hollywood City Council
- 2012 inducted into the Leather Hall of Fame.
- 2016 received Tom of Finland Foundation Lifetime Achievement Award.
- 2009, 2010, 2012, 2013 special guest at the Master/slave Conference
Baldwin is a prolific author of both fiction and non-fiction related to BDSM. Baldwin authored a monthly column (1986–1993) in Drummer magazine that were compiled in his book, Ties that Bind.
- Guy Baldwin (1993). Joseph W. Bean, ed. Ties That Bind: The SM/Leather/Fetish Erotic Style: Issues, Commentaries and Advice. Daedalus Publishing Company. ISBN 978-1-881943-09-9.
- Guy Baldwin (1993). The Leather Contest Guide: A Handbook for Promoters, Contestants, Judges and Titleholders. Daedalus Publishing Company. ISBN 1-881943-08-9.
- Guy Baldwin (2002). SlaveCraft: Roadmaps for Erotic Servitude—Principles, Skills and Tools. Daedalus Publishing Company. ISBN 1-881943-14-3.
- "A Second Coming Out." Frontiers Magazine (1990). Reprinted in Thompson, Mark, ed. (1991). Leatherfolk: Radical Sex, People, Politics and Practice. Boston: Alyson Publications. p. 328. ISBN 978-1-55583-186-8.
- "Old Guard": Its Origins, Traditions, Mystique & Rules, "Drummer Magazine" (150). September 1991. in Rear View Mirror.
- "Our Public Relations Suck". Drummer Magazine (150). Summer 1994..
- "Radical Rite" in Taormino, Tristan and David Arron Clark, ed. (1996). Ritual Sex. New York: Masquerade. ISBN 978-1-56333-391-0.
- "The Old Guard: Classical Leather Culture Revisited". International Leatherman. 1998..
- "Unintended Consequences". The SandMUtopian Guardian (30). 1998.
- "ON LEADERSHIP: The Path Less Traveled". International Leatherman (22). 1999.
- "The Secret Life of Master and slave". International Leatherman (23). 1999.
- "Recollections 8709". Mach. 199.. Reprinted in Bean, Joseph W., ed. (1997). Horsemen: Leathersex Short Fiction. San Francisco: Leyland Publications. ISBN 978-0-943595-69-6..
- "Lord of the Snow" in Ford, Michael, ed. (1996). Happily Ever After: Erotic Fairy Tales for Men. New York: Masquerade. ISBN 978-1-56333-450-4..
- "Recollections: Yer it!". Powerplay 6 & 7. May–August 1995. Reprinted in Bean, Joseph W., ed. (1997). Horsemen: Leathersex Short Fiction. San Francisco: Leyland Publications. ISBN 978-0-943595-69-6..
Introductions and ForwardsEdit
- Forward by Guy Baldwin, M.S., Bannon, Race (1993). Learning the Ropes: A basic guide to safe and fun S/M lovemaking. Los Angeles: Daedalus Publishing Company. ISBN 978-1-881943-07-5.
- Forward by Guy Baldwin Bean, Joseph (1996). Leathersex Q&A: Questions About Leathersex and the Leather Lifestyle Answered. Los Angeles: Daedalus Publishing Co. ISBN 978-1-881943-01-3.
Interviews (in print)Edit
- Race Bannon
- KAP list
- Leather History Timeline Archived 2010-04-22 at the Wayback Machine. at the Leather Archives and Museum
- Baldwin, Guy; Bean, Joseph W. (1993). Ties That Bind: The SM/Leather/Fetish Erotic Style: Issues, Commentaries and Advice. Daedalus Publishing Company. ISBN 978-1-881943-09-9.
- Baldwin, Guy (2002). SlaveCraft: Roadmaps for Erotic Servitude--Principles, Skills and Tools. Daedalus Publishing Company. ISBN 1-881943-14-3.
- National Leather Association
- International Mr. Leather by year Archived 2009-02-20 at the Wayback Machine.
- Pantheon of Leather
- 20th National Conference on LGBT Equality
- Master/slave Conference