Gulf Medical University
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Gulf Medical University (Arabic: جامعة الخليج الطبية) (GMU), established in Ajman, UAE in 1998, is one of the largest private medical universities in the Middle East region. It has various programs in medicine and health sciences.
جامعة الخليج الطبية
|Motto||Learning together for working together|
|Chancellor||Prof. Hossam Hamdy|
|President||Dr. Thumbay Moideen|
|Colors||Red & Gold|
Prof. Hossam Hamdy is the Chancellor of GMU.
GMU has six colleges and 26 accredited programs.
Gulf Medical University (GMU) is located in the emirate of Ajman, on the western coast of the UAE. It was founded in 1998 as Gulf Medical College (GMC) by the Thumbay Group. The college was opened under Decree Number 1, issued on 28 January 1998, by His Highness Sheikh Humaid Bin Rashid Al-Nuaimi, the ruler of Ajman and Member of the Supreme Council, UAE.
The institution became a University in the year 2008 following a Decree by Sheikh Nahyan Bin Mubarak Al Nahyan, Minister of Higher Education and Scientific Research, United Arab Emirates.
Today, the focus of Gulf Medical University has extended into three core areas: Medical Education, Healthcare and Research.
GMU enjoys a robust collaboration with a number of prestigious universities around the world, such as the University of Arizona, Virginia Commonwealth University, Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee - USA, University of Saint Joseph School of Pharmacy in Connecticut, German Heidelberg University, American University in Cairo, University of Ghana, Medical University of Lublin, Tokyo Medical & Dental University, etc., as well as research institutes such as the Gustave Rossi Cancer Research Institute – France.
The Gulf Medical University is located at Thumbay Medicity, in Al Jurf, Ajman that currently houses the main campus and its support facilities and academic health centers. It has within itself a state-of-the-art research center, laboratories, classrooms and administration buildings, a stand-alone building that houses the library and the modern multimedia centers, a food court, restaurants, coffee shops and a sports complex with courts for tennis, basketball, volleyball and grounds for cricket and football.
The Thumbay Research Institute for Precision Medicine (TRIPM) is an interdisciplinary basic and translational cancer and diabetes research program to meet growing challenges facing UAE health care providers dealing with the increase in cancer burden and diabetes disease. It will focus its activities on comprehensive, translational research and personalised medicine, and aims to become a centre of excellence and a leader in developing personalised medicine in the region.
- The THUMBAY INSTITUTE OF POPULATION HEALTH focuses on postgraduate studies and research in the fields of public health, Epidemiology, Evidence Based Medicine, Big Data Analysis, Evidence Based Medicine & Policy and Global Health.
- The THUMBAY INSTITUTE OF HEALTH WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT includes the “Center for Advanced Simulation in Healthcare” (CASH), the “Center for Continuing Education and Community Outreach” (CCE&CO) and the “Center for Health Professions Education and Research” (CHPER). Its main goals is to respond to national, regional and international shortage and need for competent health workforce, “Doctors, Pharmacist, Dentist, Nurses, Paramedics and All Allied Health”.
Virtual Patient Learning (VPL)Edit
GMU is the first university in the Middle East region to introduce Virtual Patient Learning (VPL), significantly enhancing students’ skills and learning experience. VPL is the most sophisticated simulator with the highest fidelity using artificial intelligence and problem-based learning in medical education.
GMU is the first medical university in the region to introduce 3D Digital Learning. The new technology brings all aspects of medical education; particularly basic medical sciences, anatomy, physiology and biochemistry presented in immersive technology in high definition stereoscopic 3D with 5.1 surround sound.
Electronic Resource CenterEdit
Grants the students seamless availability of academic and research resources, irrespective of the time or place of access.
With a capacity of holding up to 88 participants, the university's testing center has all modern facilities. GMU is an international center for the MRCP (UK) PACES examination.
Helps GMU students and alumni turn their business ideas into reality.
Sports, Recreation & SocializationEdit
The campus has the following amenities for students:
- Body & Soul Health Club & Spa
- Blends & Brews Coffee Shoppe
- The Terrace Restaurant
Academic Health SystemEdit
The Gulf Medical University Academic Health System (GMUAHS) is the first such initiative in the UAE's private sector. Part of GMUAHS are the Thumbay Hospitals and Thumbay Clinics operated by the healthcare division of Thumbay Group at multiple locations in Dubai, Ajman, Sharjah, Fujairah, Ras Al Khaimah and Umm Al Quwain, as well Thumbay Hospital – Hyderabad. The latest additions to the GMU Academic Health System include Thumbay University Hospital, Thumbay Dental Hospital and Thumbay Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation Hospital, all within the GMU campus at Thumbay Medicity.
Colleges Under Gulf Medical UniversityEdit
College of MedicineEdit
Conducts Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) program, Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences (BBMS), Associate Degree in Preclinical Sciences (ADPCS), Masters in Public Health (MPH) program in collaboration with The University of Arizona, USA, Joint Masters in Health Professions Education (JMHPE) Program with FAIMER, USA and the medical internship program.
College of DentistryEdit
Conducts three programs: Doctor of Dental Medicine (D.M.D) program, internship program and Master of Dental Surgery (M.D.S) program in Endodontics and Periodontics.
College of PharmacyEdit
Conducts two programs: Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) entry-to-practice degree program and Master in Clinical Pharmacy (MCP) degree program that offers several areas of specialization including cardiology, infectious diseases, parenteral nutrition, and others. Both programs are accredited by Commission for Academic Accreditation, Ministry of Education, UAE and the PharmD program is under certification by Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education, USA.
College of Health SciencesEdit
Conducts programs in Physical Therapy, Medical Laboratory Sciences, Medical Imaging Sciences, as well as Anesthesia Technology.
College of Healthcare Management and Economics (CoHME)Edit
Conducts a four years Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management and Economics and a 3 Semesters Executives Master in Healthcare Management and Economics.
Events & ActivitiesEdit
GMU Annual Sports FestivalEdit
The week-long inter-university sports festival hosted by GMU annually is the biggest sporting event of its kind in the country.
GMU Global DayEdit
Organized every year to appreciate the cultural diversity of the students and staff of GMU, the event is a convergence of cultural and traditions of the 80+ nationalities that form the student cohort of GMU.
‘Future Scientists of the UAE’ InitiativeEdit
Launched by GMU in collaboration with GEMS International Schools, students are selected from grades 9 to 12 from various schools under GEMS, through a competitive admission process. These future scientists are mentored by research scientists, professors and clinical staff at Gulf Medical University. GMU’s world-class research facility, The Thumbay Research Institute for Precision Medicine - plays a central role in the program.
Global Alumni SummitEdit
Held biennially, the ‘GMU Global Alumni Summit’ organized by the GMU Students Affairs Department recognizes the most outstanding accomplishments of its alumni.
Student Council Executive BoardEdit
Elected representatives from the Student Council form the Student Council Executive Board. This is made up of one elected student from each program who will attend the respective college council meetings called for by the deans of the respective colleges.
A General Secretary is elected from amongst the Council's Executive Board along with a few Joint Secretaries on an annual basis. The institute hails its elected officials by placing their names on the University boards main entrance hall.
Awards & RecognitionsEdit
- Ranked among the top 50 medical universities in the Middle East by US News & World Report.
- Recognized by Forbes Middle East as the ‘Best Medical University in the Region’ at Higher Education Awards 2019.
- Top positions in e-learning regionally and globally at the Wharton QS-Stars Reimagine Education Conference & Awards 2018 in the USA.
- Multiple 5-star ratings from QS.
- Gold Award at the prestigious Sheikh Khalifa Excellence Awards, 2018.
- Dubai Quality Appreciation Award for the 2017 assessment cycle.
Gulf Medical University is located in Thumbay Medicity, Ajman, the regional hub of medical education, healthcare and research. The Medicity occupies 1.2 million square feet and can serve up to 20,000 people daily
- "Gulf Medical University: Pursue your dreams to help humanity". Khaleej Times. Retrieved 2020-07-07.
- "Office of the President - Board of Governors - Gulf Medical University". Gulf Medical University. Retrieved 2017-02-02.
- "Office of the Chancellor - Gulf Medical University". Gulf Medical University. Retrieved 2017-02-02.
- Report, Staff. "GMU's new programmes receive high volume of enquiries". Khaleej Times. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- "Regional and International Partners". Gulf Medical University. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- "Thumbay Institute of Population Health". Gulf Medical University. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- "Thumbay Institute of Health Workforce Development & Leadership | GMU". Gulf Medical University. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- "Gulf Medical University Chancellor Prof. Hossam Hamdy Wins UAE Ministry of Health & Prevention's Award for Innovative Learning Technology". Uae news 4u. 2020-02-17. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- "Medical varsity in Ajman adopts 3D-sensurround". www.gulftoday.ae. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- "Ajman: GMU's 'White Coat' ceremony welcomes new batch of future healthcare professionals". www.daijiworld.com. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- "GMU Startup Lab | Institutes". Gulf Medical University. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- "The Campus Facilities & Services | Gulf Medical University | UAE". Gulf Medical University. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- "Gulf Medical University Emerges as the Biggest Private Medical University in the Gulf Region - Health Magazine". Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- "Overview | College of Medicine - Gulf Medical University". Gulf Medical University. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- "College of Dentistry - DMD program". Gulf Medical University. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- "Overview | College of Pharmacy | PharmD Program | GMU". Gulf Medical University. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- "Overview | College of Health Sciences | GMU". Gulf Medical University. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- "Overview". Gulf Medical University. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- "College of Healthcare Management and Economics - Gulf Medical University | UAE". Gulf Medical University. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- NewsKarnataka. "Gulf Medical University Annual Sports Festival 2017 concludes; over 40 trophies awarded to winners". NewsKarnataka. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- "Ajman: Gulf Medical University students celebrate cultural diversity, showcase talents at Global Day". www.daijiworld.com. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- Haziq, Saman. "16 school students gain 'future scientist' title". Khaleej Times. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- Bharathi, Vartha. "Ajman: Gulf Medical University 'Global Alumni Summit 2020' recognizes global achievers". english.varthabharati.in. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- "Gulf Medical University (GMU): The medical university of the future". gulfnews.com. Retrieved 2020-01-12.
- "PressReader.com - Your favorite newspapers and magazines". www.pressreader.com. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- "Gulf Medical University (GMU): The medical university of the future". gulfnews.com. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- "GMU gets multiple 5-star ratings in QS Survey".
- "Thumbay Group Wins Four Honors at the Prestigious Sheikh Khalifa Excellence Awards 2018, becoming the First Group in SKEA History to Achieve this Feat". www.zawya.com. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- "Gulf Medical University (GMU): The medical university of the future". gulfnews.com. Retrieved 2020-03-10.
- "Dh1bn Thumbay Medicity launches in UAE". gulfnews.com. Retrieved 2020-06-25.