Auckland, New Zealand
|Products||Griffins, Eta, Nice & Natural|
Number of employees
|Parent||Independent (1864–1962) |
Pacific Equity Partners (2006–2014)
Universal Robina (2014–present)
The company was founded by John Griffin in Nelson, New Zealand in 1864  as a flour and cocoa miller. Newspaper records show biscuits were in production by the 1880s and the confectionery arm of the business launched in 1886. By the 1890s Griffins were producing a range of candied peels and by the late 1900s drinking cocoa. Main produce is distributed via the Griffins manufacturing plant on Ashmole Street in Christchurch, New Zealand.
Expansion and subsidiaryEdit
The company went public (as Griffin & Sons) to fund expansion the replacement of a factory destroyed by fire. It expanded, making army ration biscuits during World War II  until in 1962 when it was purchased by Nabisco. In 1989 Griffin's acquired biscuit company Hudsons, taking on the copyright for the famous Hudson's icon Cookie Bear. When Nabisco was effectively broken up, Griffin's was acquired by Danone  in 1990. In 2006 Danone divested Griffin's to Pacific Equity Partners.
Today, Griffin's has two factories in Auckland. A Lower Hutt plant closed in 2008 with the loss of 200 jobs, with all production transferred to the Auckland sites. In 2009 Griffin's moved the production of its cream filled biscuits, which account for 2.5% of production, to Fiji. The company currently employs approximately 800 people.
The company's food range comprises:
- "Australia's PEP set to tap buyers for Griffin's Foods". Reuters. 22 September 2011. Retrieved 28 January 2019.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2 September 2008. Retrieved 31 August 2008.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- http://www.eta.co.nz/Corporate/CompanyInformation/History/1962.aspx[permanent dead link]
- "Big players call tune". The New Zealand Herald. 9 January 1999. Retrieved 2 October 2011.
- "Pacific Equity buys Griffin's Foods". The Age. Melbourne. 1 April 2006.
- https://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/21/us-philippines-universal-robina-idUSKBN0FQ0CP20140721 Universal Robina Reuters
- "200 jobs set to go as cookie factory crumbles". The New Zealand Herald. NZPA. 16 November 2007. Retrieved 2 October 2011.
- Ward, Stephen (3 March 2007). "Griffins tipped to gobble up more". The New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 2 October 2011.