Gregory Howard Woods
Gregory Howard Woods III (born April 1969) is an American judge and lawyer. In 2013, he became a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.
Gregory Howard Woods III
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York|
|Assumed office |
November 18, 2013
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Barbara S. Jones|
Gregory Howard Woods III
April 1969 (age 51)
|Education||Williams College (B.A.)|
Yale Law School (J.D.)
Early life and educationEdit
Woods was born in April 1969, in Lewes, Delaware, and grew up in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He received a Bachelor of Arts degree, magna cum laude, in 1991, from Williams College, located in Williamstown, Massachusetts. He received his Juris Doctor in 1995 from Yale Law School.
He worked as a trial attorney in the Civil Division of the U.S. Department of Justice from 1995 to 1998. From 1998 to 2009, he worked at the law firm of Debevoise & Plimpton in New York City, New York, becoming partner in 2004. From 2009 to 2012, he served as Deputy General Counsel at the U.S. Department of Transportation. In 2012, he was confirmed by the U.S. Senate to serve as General Counsel of the U.S. Department of Energy, which he held until his appointment to the bench.
Federal judicial serviceEdit
On May 9, 2013, on the recommendation of Senator Chuck Schumer, President Barack Obama nominated Woods to serve as a U.S. District Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, to the seat vacated by Judge Barbara S. Jones, who took senior status on December 31, 2012. The Senate Judiciary Committee reported his nomination to the full senate by voice vote on August 1, 2013. On November 4, 2013, the full senate voted to confirm Woods in a voice vote. He received his commission on November 18, 2013.
- [dead link] . Office of U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer.
- [dead link] "Senate Judiciary Committee Nomination Questionnaire" Archived March 3, 2016, at the Wayback Machine. United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary.
- "Woods, Gregory Howard III – Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- Press release (May 3, 2013). "President Obama Nominates Two to Serve on the United States District Court". Office of the White House Press Secretary. Retrieved June 26, 2015.
- Gregory Howard Woods at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Gregory H. Woods at Ballotpedia
Barbara S. Jones
| Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York