Gregor von Helmersen
|Born||11 October [O.S. 29 September] 1803|
|Died||15 February [O.S. 3 February] 1885 (aged 81)|
|Resting place||Raadi Cemetery, Tartu, Estonia|
Helmersen was born in Duckershof, Livonia (now in Estonia) and went to boarding school in St. Petersburg. He graduated from the University of Dorpat in 1825 and joined the finance ministry. He accompanied Alexander von Humboldt into the Orenburg region and was recommended, along with E.K. Hoffman, by the minister E.F. Kankrin to be sent for higher education. The two travelled and listened to lectures in the universities of Berlin, Heidelberg, and Bonn. In 1835 he was put in the Corps of Mining Engineers and in 1838 he became professor of geology in the Mining Institute at Saint Petersburg of which he was also director.
He was an author of numerous memoirs on the geology of Russia, especially on coal and other mineral deposits of the country; and he wrote also some explanations to accompany separate sheets of the geological map of Russia.
His geological work was continued to an advanced age, one of the later publications being Studien über die Wanderblöcke und die Diluvialgebilde Russlands (1869 and 1882). Most of his memoirs were published by the Imperial Academy of Sciences at Saint Petersburg.
- In German personal names, von is a preposition which approximately means of or from and usually denotes some sort of nobility. While von (always lower case) is part of the family name or territorial designation, not a first or middle name, if the noble is referred to by surname alone in English, use Schiller or Clausewitz or Goethe, not von Schiller, etc.
- Carl Arvid von Klingspor (1882). Baltisches Wappenbuch. Stockholm. p. 151. ISBN 978-0-543-98710-5. Retrieved 26 April 2019.
- Suhova, N. G. (2019). "Г. П. ГЕЛЬМЕРСЕН И ЗНАЧЕНИЕ ЕГО ГЕОЛОГИЧЕСКИХ ИССЛЕДОВАНИЙ ДЛЯ РОССИЙСКОЙ ГЕОГРАФИИ XIX СТОЛЕТИЯ" [G. P. Helmersen and the value of his geological researches for the Russian geography of the XIX century]. Известия Русского географического общества. 151 (1): 72–89. doi:10.31857/S0869-6071151172-89. ISSN 0869-6071.
- Aaloe, Aasa; Bauert, Heikki; Soesoo, Alvar (2007). Kukersite oil shale (PDF). Tallinn: MTÜ GEOGuide Baltoscandia. p. 30. ISBN 978-9985-9834-2-3. Retrieved 2013-03-16.
- Kammeri Manor, birthplace of Gregor von Helmersen at Estonian Manors Portal