General Organization for Physical Planning
The General Organization for Physical Planning (GOPP) is Egypt's national level regional planning body and is affiliated to the Ministry of Housing, Utilities and Urban Communities.
As the government gave more importance to planning outside of the capital, the GCPC was elevated from a regional to a national planning body in 1973, becoming the General Organization of Physical Planning (GOPP) by Presidential Decree 1093/1973. It has since been responsible for drawing national policies for sustainable urban planning and development.
In 2008, with the founding of the Cabinet level Supreme Council for Planning and Urban Development (SCPUD), the GOPP became its technical office, furnishing it with expertise, though still being a part of the ministry of housing.
Examples of workEdit
It has produced a series of masterplans for Greater Cairo, including the infamous Cairo 2050/2052 plan, that faced immediate criticism for its top-down mandates delivered as megaprojects that promised to displace large numbers of residents in an effort to turn Cairo into a “global city.”
On a regional level, the GOPP produced the Egypt 2052 Urban Development Plan, chief among its aims is doubling the size of inhabited land to 14% by building more new towns and land reclamation schemes in the desert, as a measure to curb what it believes to be high population densities in the existing cities and villages on the Nile Valley and Delta.
The work of the GOPP and all things related to Cairo's urbanization and problems of inequality is the focus of Tadamun, a project by the American University, in Washington DC.
- John Waterbury (1978). Egypt: burdens of the past, options for the future. ISBN 9780253319432.
- Diane Singerman; Paul Amar (2006). Cairo Cosmopolitan: Politics, Culture, and Urban Space in the New Globalized Middle East. American Univ in Cairo Press. p. 87. ISBN 978-977-424-928-0. Retrieved 23 September 2014.
- Elena Piffero (2009), What happened to participation? Urban development and authoritarian upgrading in Cairo's informal neighbourhoods, ISBN 9788896026182
- "About the Authority General". GOPP.gov.
- Metropolitan Planning and Management in the Developing World: Spatial Decentralization Policy in Bombay and Cairo. UN-HABITAT. 1 January 1993. p. 142. ISBN 978-92-1-131233-1. Retrieved 23 September 2014.
- "General Organization for Physical Planning". GOPP.Gov. Retrieved 6 November 2018.
- "Know your government". Tadamun.co. Retrieved 7 November 2018.
- "Cairo 2050 القاهرة ٢٠٥٠ | القاهرة من الأساس". Cairo from Below. Archived from the original on 2022-09-27. Retrieved 2022-12-31.
- "Cairo 2050 - Cubeconsultants". web.archive.org. 2021-08-11. Retrieved 2022-12-31.
- "What ever happened to Cairo 2050?". Egypt Independent. 2011-07-29. Archived from the original on 2022-11-29. Retrieved 2022-12-31.
- "المخطط الاستراتيجي القومي للتنمية العمرانية لمصر". GOPP (in Arabic). Retrieved 2022-12-31.
- "Strengthening Development Planning and Management in Greater Cairo" (PDF). UNDP. Retrieved 6 November 2018.