Grand Junction station
The Grand Junction station is a train station in Grand Junction, Colorado, United States, that is served by Amtrak's California Zephyr, which runs once daily between Chicago and Emeryville, California, in the San Francisco Bay Area.[Note 1]
|Amtrak inter-city rail station|
The current station at Grand Junction
|Location||339 South 1st Street|
Grand Junction, Colorado 81501, U.S.
|Owned by||Union Pacific Railroad &|
|Platforms||1 side platform|
1 island platform
|Connections||Grand Valley Transit: Route 11|
|Parking||5 short term spaces|
|Passengers (2016)||32,302 8.4%|
Until 1992 Amtrak used the ex-Denver and Rio Grande Western Railroad (D&RGW) station, constructed in 1906, located next door to the current building. The current station building was built in the late 1970s and originally used as a restaurant.
Beginning in 1983, both the Desert Wind (with service from Chicago to Los Angeles) and the Pioneer (with service from Chicago to Seattle) stopped at the Grand Junction Station. Service by the Pioneer was dropped when that train was rerouted through Wyoming in 1991 (the train was later discontinued altogether in 1997). Service by the Desert Wind ended when Amtrak discontinued that train in 1997 (at the same time as the Pioneer was discontinued). Also in 1997, the Green River Station (in Utah) station replaced the former station in Thompson Springs, Utah, as the next station to the west.
Of the nine Colorado stations served by Amtrak, Grand Junction was the third-busiest in FY2016.
- As of 13 January 2014, the previous schedule continues with the westbound train (Route 5) scheduled to stop at 4:10 pm and the eastbound train (Route 6) scheduled to stop at 10:23 am.
- "Grand Junction, CO (GJT)". amtrak.com. Amtrak. Retrieved 8 Jan 2014.
- "Great American Stations: Grand Junction, CO (GJT)". greatamericanstations.com. Amtrak. Retrieved 8 Jan 2014.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2016, State of Colorado" (PDF). amtrak.com. Amtrak. Nov 2016. Retrieved 11 March 2017.
- "California Zephyr" (PDF). amtrak.com. Amtrak. 13 Jan 2014. p. 2. Retrieved 8 Jan 2014.
- Media related to Grand Junction (Amtrak station) at Wikimedia Commons
- Grand Junction, CO – Amtrak
- Grand Junction (GJT): Great American Stations (Amtrak)
- Grand Junction Amtrak Station (USA RailGuide -- TrainWeb)
|This Colorado train station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|