Gorkys Gustavo Hernández Lugo (born September 7, 1987) is a Venezuelan professional baseball outfielder for the Boston Red Sox of Major League Baseball (MLB). He previously played in MLB for the Pittsburgh Pirates, Miami Marlins and San Francisco Giants.
Hernandez with the San Francisco Giants in 2016
|Boston Red Sox – No. 47|
|Born: September 7, 1987|
|May 21, 2012, for the Pittsburgh Pirates|
|MLB statistics |
(through September 10, 2019)
|Runs batted in||79|
Hernandez signed with the Detroit Tigers in April 2005. In 2007, as a member of the West Michigan Whitecaps, he was named a Midwest League Mid-Season and Post-Season All-Star, was named Midwest League MVP, and competed in the All-Star Futures Game for the World Team. On October 29, 2007, Hernández was traded by the Detroit Tigers along with pitcher Jair Jurrjens to the Atlanta Braves in exchange for shortstop Édgar Rentería.
Hernández was listed as the fifth-best prospect in the Atlanta Braves organization by Baseball America. before the 2008 season. On June 3, 2009, the Braves traded Hernández along with Charlie Morton and Jeff Locke to the Pittsburgh Pirates in exchange for Nate McLouth.
On May 18, 2012, he was called up to the big league club. He made his major league debut on May 21, and struck out as a pinch hitter. On May 27, he got his first major league hit, a 2-run single off Chicago Cubs pitcher Michael Bowden.
Kansas City RoyalsEdit
On July 21, 2013, Hernández was traded to the Kansas City Royals organization. Hernández was assigned to the Omaha Storm Chasers, the Royals' Triple-A affiliate. On November 23, 2013, Hernandez re-signed a minor league contract with Kansas City.
Chicago White SoxEdit
Return to the PiratesEdit
Hernández rejoined the Pirates on December 1, 2014, agreeing to a minor league deal that included an invitation to spring training. On June 28, 2015, Gorkys Hernández was called up to the majors and started in right field.
San Francisco GiantsEdit
In 2016, Hernández agreed to a minor league deal with the Giants. The Giants promoted him to the major leagues on August 23 to replace the injured Gregor Blanco. In 2018, due to numerous injuries to the outfield, he was placed as the center fielder for the Giants, establishing career highs offensively.
Boston Red SoxEdit
On December 11, 2018, Hernández signed a minor league deal with the Boston Red Sox, and was assigned to the Triple-A Pawtucket Red Sox. On September 1, 2019, the Red Sox selected Hernández's contract, adding him to their active MLB roster.
Awards and honorsEdit
This section does not cite any sources. (June 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Bowman, Mark (October 29, 2007). "Braves get two prospects for Renteria". MLB.com. Retrieved December 2, 2014.
- "Tigers deal two prospects to Braves for Renteria". ESPN.com. Associated Press. October 30, 2007. Retrieved December 2, 2014.
- Ballew, Bill (November 5, 2007). "Top 10 Prospects: Atlanta Braves". Baseball America. Retrieved December 2, 2014.
- "Braves Acquire Outfielder Nate McLouth from Pittsburgh". MLB.com. June 3, 2009. Retrieved December 2, 2014.
- "Pirates land 1B Gaby Sanchez". ESPN.com. Associated Press. July 31, 2012. Retrieved December 2, 2014.
- "Gorkys Hernández Stats, Highlights, Bio". MiLB.com. Retrieved June 5, 2019.
- Rodriguez, Juan C. (July 23, 2012). "Marlins' Ozuna to see hand specialist for jammed left thumb". Sun Sentinel. Retrieved December 2, 2014.
- "Kansas City Royals - PlayerWatch". GlobalPost. Thomson Reuters. July 23, 2013. Archived from the original on July 23, 2013. Retrieved December 2, 2014. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Royals sign six players to Minor League contracts for 2014". MLB.com. November 23, 2013. Retrieved December 2, 2014.
- Padilla, Doug (April 10, 2014). "Trade gives White Sox OF depth". ESPN Chicago. Retrieved April 11, 2014.
- "Knights Announce Flurry of Roster Moves". MILB.com. June 12, 2014. Retrieved December 2, 2014.
- "Rays trade utilityman Sean Rodriguez to Pirates". ESPN.com. Associated Press. December 1, 2014. Retrieved December 2, 2014.
- Haft, Chris (August 23, 2016). "Blanco lands on DL with right shoulder injury". MLB.com. Retrieved August 24, 2016.
- Byrne, Connor (December 11, 2018). "Red Sox, Gorkys Hernandez Agree To Minor League Deal". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved December 11, 2018.
- "Red Sox Roster & Staff – Transactions". MLB.com. September 2019. Retrieved September 1, 2019.