Gloucestershire Royal Hospital
|Gloucestershire Royal Hospital|
|Gloucestershire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust|
Gloucestershire Royal Hospital with A&E to the left
|Location||Gloucester, United Kingdom|
|Care system||Public NHS|
|Emergency department||Yes Accident & Emergency|
|Lists||Hospitals in the United Kingdom|
In 1912, construction on a 149-bed infirmary started on Great Western Road. Patients were transferred to the new building in 1914. The British Red Cross Society took over the west block for nursing war wounded in 1914 and the east block in 1915. The buildings were completed after the war. In 1930 the infirmary was transferred to the corporation and became known as Gloucester City General Hospital. On the introduction of the National Health Service in 1948 it was amalgamated with the Gloucestershire Royal Infirmary which had stood in Southgate Street. The hospital was rebuilt in the 1960s and eventually incorporated a new 11-storey tower, the work on which started in 1970 and was completed in 1975.
A major expansion of the hospital was procured under a Private Finance Initiative contract in 2001. The works were carried out by Bilfinger at a cost of £35 million and the new facility opened in 2005.
On 29 December 2010 the Queen's first great-grandchild was born at the hospital, a baby girl named Savannah Phillips. On 29 March 2012, The Queen' second great-grandchild Isla Phillips was born at the hospital. On 17 January 2014, The Queen's granddaughter Zara Tindall gave birth to a baby girl, Mia Grace Tindall, at the hospital.
There are 683 beds at the hospital.
- "'Gloucester: Hospitals', in A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 4, the City of Gloucester, ed. N M Herbert". London: British History Online. 1988. p. 269-275. Retrieved 21 April 2018.
- "Bilfinger wins reprieved hospital project". Construction News. 26 July 2001. Retrieved 21 April 2018.
- "Hospital description". Electives. Retrieved 21 April 2018.
- "Richard Graham". conservatives.com. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Queen Elizabeth's first great-grandchild named". Female First. 4 January 2011. Retrieved 21 April 2018.
- "Queen Elizabeth Is a Great Grandmother – Again!". People. 30 March 2012.
- "Zara Phillips and Mike Tindall announce birth of their baby girl at Gloucestershire Royal Hospital". Gloucester Citizen. 17 January 2014. Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- "Queen's granddaughter Zara Tindall gives birth to daughter". BBC News. 17 January 2014. Retrieved 17 January 2014.
- "Quality Report: Gloucestershire Royal Hospital" (PDF). CQC. 5 July 2017.