Girton Grammar School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Girton Grammar School|
22 Vine Street
|Type||Co-educational, independent, day school|
|Motto||Per Aspera Ad Astra|
|Founders||John Higgs, Jan Thomas, Chris Morey, Clayton Jones, Robyn MacCulloch|
|Sister school||Gojo Senior High School, Nara, Japan|
Collège & Lycée Sainte Ursule, Luçon, France
|Headmaster||Matthew F. Maruff|
|Grades||Prep - Year 12|
|Houses||Milward, Aherne, Frew, Jenkin, Jones, Riley|
|Colour(s)||Maroon and gold|
|Slogan||Aspire to Star|
|Song||"Proud the Banner"|
|Newspaper||The Whitehorse Post (2016-present)|
This section relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (September 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Girton Grammar School was founded in late 1992 after the closure that year of Girton College, a school owned and operated by the Anglican Diocese of Bendigo which was no longer able to fund it. Following the closure of the college, some people associated with it founded Girton Grammar School as an independent private school. The school opened in early 1993, under the direction of founding headmaster Clayton Jones.
Girton Grammar School has a junior school (Prep to Grade 6) campus located at 105 MacKenzie Street, Bendigo, and a senior school campus (Year 7 to 12) located at 38 Wattle Street, Bendigo.
In 2016, 20.1% of Girton Grammar School students achieved a VCE score of 40 or above. The median ATAR score in 2016 was 83, with 26% of Year 12 VCE students ranking within the top 10% of the state, 15% in the top 5%, and 4% in the top 1%. .
The school achieved a median ATAR score of 81 in 2015, with 32% of students ranking within the top 10% of the state and 19% within the top 5%.
There are six houses at the school. These are named after important figures in the history of both Girton Grammar School and the former Girton College.
- Frew (red)
- Riley (blue)
- Aherne (green)
- Millward (purple)
- Jenkin (orange)
- Jones (white)
- "History of Girton". Girton Grammar School, Bendigo. 4 December 2015. Retrieved 18 September 2016.
- "Overview". 4 December 2015.
- Ltd, Better Education Pty. "VCE Independent School Ranking - 2016". bettereducation.com.au.
- Pedler, Chris (27 October 2016). "Scholar to hit the Rhodes".
- "From SPHPM to Oxford – Connor Rochford awarded a Rhodes Scholarship". www.monash.edu.
- Annika Smethurst (Riley, 2005 alumna), Old Girtonians' Association, 5 November 2012, archived from the original on 14 March 2016
- Wines, Maddie (30 May 2013). "Shelley Chaplin's story inspires students". Bendigo Advertiser.