Ginebra San Miguel
|Traded as||PSE: GSMI|
|Predecessor||La Tondeña Inc. (1902–1987) |
La Tondeña Distillers Inc. (1987–2003)
|Founded||1834 (gin brand) |
|Founder||Carlos Palanca, Sr.|
|Headquarters||San Miguel Properties Centre, St. Francis Street, Mandaluyong, Philippines|
|Owner||San Miguel Food and Beverage|
|Parent||San Miguel Corporation|
|Manufacturer||Ginebra San Miguel Inc.|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|Alcohol by volume||40%|
La Tondeña was established in 1902 by Carlos Palanca, Sr. in Tondo, Manila  and incorporated as La Tondeña Inc. in 1929. The company name was inspired from its location. The distillery pioneered the production of alcohol derived from molasses, instead of the commonly used nipa palm.
In 1924, it acquired the Ayala Distillery (Destilería Ayala) from Ayala y Compañía (precursor of Ayala Corporation). In 1955, the company acquired Añejo Rhum from Tabacalera (Compañía General de Tabacos de Filipinas). In 1957, it acquired the trademark rights to Kulafu to launch Vino Kulafu Chinese herbal wine.
The company was renamed La Tondeña Distillers, Inc. (LTDI) in 1987 after being acquired by San Miguel Corporation from the Palanca family. The company adopted its present name in 2003.
On 6 November 2017, SMC announced the consolidation of its beverage businesses into San Miguel Pure Foods Company, Inc. through a share swap deal. San Miguel Pure Foods will acquire 216.97 million shares in GSMI from SMC. As a result, San Miguel Pure Foods will own 76% of GSMI with SMC as the minority. After the consolidation, San Miguel Pure Foods will be renamed San Miguel Food and Beverage, Inc.
Ginebra San Miguel historyEdit
In June 1834, Casa Róxas founded the Ayala Distillery, the first distillery in the Philippines. It produced a variety of drinks including anis, anisette, cognac, rum, whisky and gin (Ginebra Ayala, Ginebra San Miguel and Ginebra Nacional). The distillery was located in Quiapo, Manila and was a major business of Ayala y Compañía (successor of Casa Róxas) when it was acquired by La Tondeña on 21 June 1924.
GSMI has received eight Quality Awards (five golds and three silvers) at the 2012 World Quality Selections, organized yearly by Monde Selection. Three of the brands have also earned the Monde Selection’s International High Quality Trophy, granted to products achieving Grand Gold or Gold Awards for three consecutive years.
- Hlousek, Petr. "La Tondeña Distillers, Inc. (Philippines)". Peter's Rum Labels. Retrieved 29 September 2019.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 23 January 2013. Retrieved 6 November 2012.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- dela Peña, Zinnia (8 March 2003). "La Tondeña now known as Ginebra San Miguel Inc". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 23 April 2018.
- Morales, Neil Jerome (7 November 2017). "San Miguel to consolidate food, beverage units in sale swap". Reuters. Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- dela Paz, Chrisee (6 November 2017). "San Miguel to merge food, beverage businesses". Rappler. Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- Dumlao-Abadilla, Doris (7 November 2017). "SMC spins off key units". Inquirer.net. Retrieved 7 November 2017.
- [dead link]
- GSMI dominates Monde Selection Archived 22 August 2013 at the Wayback Machine, tribune.net.ph, Monday, 9 July 2012