Gina Manès (born Blanche Moulin; 7 April 1893 – 6 September 1989) was a French film actress and a major star of French silent cinema. After an early appearance in a Louis Feuillade film, she had significant roles in films of Germaine Dulac and Jean Epstein, including Cœur fidèle.
7 April 1893
|Died||6 September 1989 (aged 96)|
In Abel Gance's Napoléon, she took the part of Joséphine de Beauharnais, and then played the title role in Jacques Feyder's Thérèse Raquin. She made the transition to sound films but during the 1930s her popularity faded, and periods of residence in Morocco took her further from the public eye. She continued to take small roles in films, and also worked in the circus and in the theatre. In total, Manès appeared in over 90 films between 1916 and 1966.
- 1919 : L'Homme sans visage, directed by Louis Feuillade
- 1923 : L'Auberge rouge, directed by Jean Epstein
- 1923 : Cœur fidèle, directed by Jean Epstein
- 1924 : Âme d'artiste, directed by Germaine Dulac
- 1927 : Sables, directed by Dimitri Kirsanoff
- 1927 : Napoléon, directed by Abel Gance
- 1928 : Die Heilige und ihr Narr, directed by William Dieterle
- 1928 : Thérèse Raquin, directed by Jacques Feyder
- 1928 : Die Todesschleife (Looping the Loop), directed by Arthur Robison
- 1929 : Quartier Latin, directed by Augusto Genina
- 1930 : Nuits de princes (Nights of Princes), directed by Marcel L'Herbier
- 1930 : Le Requin (The Shark), directed by Henri Chomette
- 1931 : Salto Mortale
- 1932 : Sous le casque de cuir (Under the Leather Helmet), directed by Albert de Courville
- 1933 : La tête d'un homme, directed by Julien Duvivier
- 1935 : Divine, directed by Max Ophüls
- 1936 : La Mystérieuse Lady (The Mysterious Lady), directed by Robert Péguy
- 1938 : Mollenard, directed by Robert Siodmak
- 1938 : Fort Dolorès, directed by René Le Hénaff
- 1939 : Le Récif de corail (Coral Reefs), directed by Maurice Gleize
- 1956 : Pitié pour les vamps (Pity for the Vamps), directed by Jean Josipovici
- Dictionnaire du cinéma français, sous la direction de Jean-Loup Passek. Paris: Larousse, 1987. p. 286.
- Obituary of Gina Manès, in The Times (London) 14 September 1989, p. 18; Issue 63499.