Gill College is a South African high school in Somerset East. It was founded in 1869 as a university.
|Accreditation||Eastern Cape Education Department|
The school's namesake, Dr. William Gill, died in 1863 and left an estate equivalent to £23,000 (equivalent to £2,216,908 in 2019) for the establishment of a college of higher education. Gill College was officially opened on March 18, 1869. The architecture was based on that of the University of Glasgow.
In 1903, a change in educational regulations caused Gill College to become a high school. The high school was coeducational before 1928 and again after 1965; between those dates it was a boys' school.
- Michael du Plessis, former South African rugby union player
- Willie du Plessis, former South African rugby union player
- James Weston Leonard, former Attorney-General of the Cape Colony
- Hannes Marais, former South African rugby union player
- FA Meiring, former South African rugby union player
- James Rose Innes, former Chief Justice of South Africa
- "Dr William Gill of Somerset East". Blue Crane Route Tourism. Retrieved 2021-03-08.