She is also an author and activist who has taken on the issue of the lack of potable drinking water in her West African homeland. Therein she runs the Georgie Badiel Foundation which is dedicated to raising funds to support the cause. Now together with the children's book author, Peter H. Reynolds and Susan Verde, she has co-created the book The Water Princess, a picture book which tells the story of her West African nation's desperate need for aquifers through her life as a young girl who dreams of bringing clean water to her people. The book was published by Penguin Random House in 2016.
Badiel is married to Chid Liberty and was honored Chevalier Of Merit Burkinabe on February 28 at the Burkina Faso mission in New York.
- "Georgie Badiel - Fashion Model - Profile on New York Magazine". nymag.com. Retrieved July 17, 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Georgie Badiel Foundation - Activist". georgiebadielfoundation.org. July 23, 2015. Retrieved July 17, 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "'The Water Princess' Relates Childhood of Burkina Faso-Born Model Georgie Badiel". publishersweekly.com. Retrieved July 17, 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The Water Princess by Susan Verde, Georgie Badiel - PenguinRandomHouse.com". Retrieved August 23, 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Ellis, Deborah (November 11, 2016). "How Do You Explain the Refugee Crisis to Children? New Picture Books Can Help". Retrieved December 11, 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)