George Street Co-op
The George Street Co-op is a food cooperative located in New Brunswick, New Jersey. The George Street Co-op runs a retail store at 89 Morris Street, selling foods and select hygiene and household products to the general public and to its membership. The Co-op, as it is known to its members, maintains a focus on offering vegetarian, organic, local food, naturally grown and fair trade products. This focus on vegetarian fare extends to The Namaste Cafe upstairs. The space upstairs also serves as a community space for everything from yoga classes to comedy shows.
The George Street Co-op was formed in 1973 when ten people from the Rutgers Vegetarian Club started a buying club out of a garage near George Street in New Brunswick. A year later, the Co-op moved to a new building on George Street and opened a small retail store. In May 1988 the George Street Co-op purchased and moved into a new building at 89 Morris Street.
- Genovese, P. (2012). Food Lovers' Guide to New Jersey: The Best Restaurants, Markets & Local Culinary Offerings. Food Lovers' Series. Globe Pequot Press. p. 118. ISBN 978-0-7627-8894-1. Retrieved February 12, 2018.
- Giampietro, Paolo. The Vegan Times. The Daily Targum. 14 April 2004.
- Heyman, Lois. Demand for organic food on the rise in Central Jersey. My Central Jersey. 1 March 2009.
- Jacyntha Crawley. The International Raw Food Restaurant Guide.
- Genovese, Peter (July 25, 2008). "The Munchmobile goes on a health kick". NJ.com.
- Parker, Reginald (December 8, 2015). "Comedy Shows Abound This December in New Brunswick". New Brunswick Today.
- Desmond Klingler (2015), 21st Century Homestead: Organic Food, pp. 32–33, ISBN 9781312937598
- Peter Genovese (2012), Food Lovers' Guide to New Jersey, Rowman & Littlefield, p. 118, ISBN 9780762788941