Geoffrey Garrett is an Australian political scientist and academic administrator. He was a professor of political science at Stanford University, Yale University, the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), the University of Southern California (USC) and the University of Sydney. He was also the dean of the University of Sydney Business School and the UNSW Business School. He is the dean of the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. On June 11th, 2019, it was announced that Garrett would be leaving the Wharton School at the end of the 2019-2020 academic year to become dean of the USC Marshall School of Business.
|Alma mater||Australian National University|
|Occupation||Political scientist, academic administrator|
|Employer||University of Pennsylvania|
|Title||Dean of the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania|
Geoffrey Garrett was born in Australia, and he graduated from the Australian National University. He was a Fulbright Scholar at Duke University, where he earned a master's degree and a PhD in 1990.
Garrett was a fellow in Politics at University College, Oxford from 1986 to 1988. He joined the Department of Political Science at Stanford University as an assistant professor in 1988, and retired as a tenured full professor in 1997. He was a professor of Political Science at Yale University from 1999 to 2001, and a professor of Political Science at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) from 2001 to 2005. He was also the dean of the UCLA International Institute. He was Professor of International Relations, Business Administration, Communication and Law at the University of Southern California from 2005 to 2009, and the president of the Pacific Council on International Policy from 2005 to 2009.
Garrett returned to Australia in 2009, where he was a professor of political science at the University of Sydney and the founding CEO of its United States Studies Centre from 2008 to 2012. He was the dean of the University of Sydney Business School from 2012 to 2013, and the dean of the Australian School of Business, now known as the UNSW Business School, from 2013 to 2014.
Garrett succeeded Thomas S. Robertson as the dean of the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania on July 1, 2014. He is also the Reliance Professor of Management and Private Enterprise in the Management Department at Wharton. He serves on the advisory board of Global Policy.
Garrett serves on the boards of advisors of the Indian School of Business and the Tsinghua University School of Economics and Management. He is also a fellow of the Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia.
- Garrett, Geoffrey (1998). Partisan Politics in the Global Economy. New York: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9780521446907.
- Dobbin, Frank; Garrett, Geoffrey; Simmons, Beth, eds. (2008). The Global Diffusion of Democracy and Markets. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Alt, James; Chambers, Simone; Garrett, Geoffrey; Levi, Margaret; McClain, Paula, eds. (2010). The Encyclopedia of Political Science. Washington, D.C.: Congressional Quarterly Press.
- "Geoffrey Garret: DEAN OF THE WHARTON SCHOOL OF THE UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA". Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- Bradshaw, Della (January 10, 2014). "Meet the dean: Geoffrey Garrett, Australian School of Business". Financial Times. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- "Geoffrey Garrett". Management Department. Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- Bradshaw, Della (October 17, 2014). "Geoffrey Garrett, Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania". Financial Times. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- Clark, Patrick (March 17, 2014). "Wharton Plucks New Dean Geoffrey Garrett From Australian Business School". Bloomberg. Retrieved March 24, 2017.
- "Board Members". Global Policy. Retrieved March 24, 2017.