Generalized vector space model
This article may be confusing or unclear to readers. (January 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Generalized vector space model is a generalization of the vector space model used in information retrieval. Wong et al. presented an analysis of the problems that the pairwise orthogonality assumption of the vector space model (VSM) creates. From here they extended the VSM to the generalized vector space model (GVSM).
GVSM introduces term to term correlations, which deprecate the pairwise orthogonality assumption. More specifically, the factor considered a new space, where each term vector ti was expressed as a linear combination of 2n vectors mr where r = 1...2n.
For a document dk and a query q the similarity function now becomes:
where ti and tj are now vectors of a 2n dimensional space.
Term correlation can be implemented in several ways. For an example, Wong et al. uses the term occurrence frequency matrix obtained from automatic indexing as input to their algorithm. The term occurrence and the output is the term correlation between any pair of index terms.
Semantic information on GVSMEdit
There are at least two basic directions for embedding term to term relatedness, other than exact keyword matching, into a retrieval model:
- compute semantic correlations between terms
- compute frequency co-occurrence statistics from large corpora
Recently Tsatsaronis focused on the first approach.
They measure semantic relatedness (SR) using a thesaurus (O) like WordNet. It considers the path length, captured by compactness (SCM), and the path depth, captured by semantic path elaboration (SPE). They estimate the inner product by:
where si and sj are senses of terms ti and tj respectively, maximizing .
Building also on the first approach, Waitelonis et. al. have computed semantic relatedness from Linked Open Data resources including DBpedia as well as the YAGO taxonomy. Thereby they exploits taxonomic relationships among semantic entities in documents and queries after named entity linking.
- Wong, S. K. M.; Ziarko, Wojciech; Wong, Patrick C. N. (1985-06-05), "Generalized vector spaces model in information retrieval", Proceedings of the 8th annual international ACM SIGIR conference on Research and development in information retrieval - SIGIR '85, SIGIR ACM, pp. 18–25, doi:10.1145/253495.253506, ISBN 0897911598
- Tsatsaronis, George; Panagiotopoulou, Vicky (2009-04-02), A Generalized Vector Space Model for Text Retrieval Based on Semantic Relatedness (PDF), EACL ACM
- Waitelonis, Jörg; Exeler, Claudia; Sack, Harald (2015-09-11), Linked Data enabled Generalized Vector Space Model to improve document retrieval (PDF), ISWC 2015, CEUR-WS 1581