Gastonia Honey Hunters
The Gastonia Honey Hunters are a professional baseball team based in Gastonia, North Carolina. They play in the South Division of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball, a "partner league" of Major League Baseball, at CaroMont Health Park in Gastonia, North Carolina.
|Gastonia Honey Hunters|
|League||Atlantic League of Professional Baseball (South Division)|
|Location||Gastonia, North Carolina|
|Ballpark||CaroMont Health Park|
|Colors||Black, gold, orange, white|
In 2019 the Atlantic League announced it was considering a new franchise in Gastonia. Work officially began in November 2019, for the new ballpark in Gastonia. In July 2020, the league announced the addition of a new franchise in Gastonia beginning in 2021; it would be the league's second team based in North Carolina. Brandon Bellamy was announced as the team's owner.
On January 13, 2021, the Honey Hunters name, logo and colors were announced. "Honey Hunters" refers to the toughness of a honey badger (Mellivora capensis) and the ability to seek out positive things in hard times. The moniker also alludes to Ransom Hunter, the first freed slave to own property in Gaston County, of which Gastonia is the county seat.
|Active (25-man) roster||Coaches/Other|
- Reichard, Kevin (September 23, 2020). "Indy Atlantic League designated MLB Partner League". Ballpark Digest. August Publishing. Retrieved October 2, 2020.
- Reichard, Kevin (September 24, 2020). "American Association, Frontier League now MLB Partner Leagues". Ballpark Digest. August Publishing. Retrieved October 2, 2020.
- Barrett, Michael (August 21, 2019). "Gastonia advances plan to lure pro-baseball franchise". The Gaston Gazette. Retrieved August 16, 2020.
- Reichard, Kevin (December 3, 2019). "Downtown Gastonia Ballpark Project Underway". Ballpark Digest. August Publications. Retrieved August 16, 2020.
- Del Priore, Jerry (July 28, 2020). "Atlantic League of Professional Baseball Expands to City of Gastonia, NC". AtlanticLeague.com (Press release).
- Cooper, J. J. (July 28, 2020). "Brandon Bellamy Set To Become Only Black Majority Owner In Professional Baseball". Baseball America.
- "Contest to name Gastonia's new pro baseball team begins". The Gaston Gazette. August 16, 2020. Retrieved August 16, 2020.
- Gilstrap, Samantha (October 8, 2020). "Gastonia Professional Baseball Narrows Down Team Name Finalists". WCCB. Retrieved October 11, 2020.
- Reichard, Kevin (January 13, 2021). "New for 2021: Gastonia Honey Hunters". Ballpark Digest. August Publications. Retrieved January 13, 2021.
- Hughes II, Joe L. (May 25, 2021). "Diggin' in: Gastonia 's new professional baseball team, stadium set for grand debut". The Gaston Gazette. Retrieved June 7, 2021.
- Ellis, Kevin (May 27, 2021). "Opening Day arrives for Gastonia Honey Hunters, and it was beautiful". The Gaston Gazette. Retrieved June 7, 2021.