Mehigan trained at The Connaught and Le Souffle in London before moving to Melbourne in 1991. He has headed the kitchen in some of Melbourne's most prominent restaurants including Browns, Burnham Beeches Country House and Hotel Sofitel before opening the award-winning Fenix in 2000 and later selling it to the Leonda By The Yarra group in 2013. He currently co-owns The Boathouse, in Melbourne suburb Moonee Ponds.
He was selected as one of the entrants to the Who's Who in Australia 2012 edition.
In July 2015, Mehigan began a new TV series called 'Far Flung with Gary Mehigan' where he travelled to various countries in Asia such as India, Vietnam, Laos, China and South Korea to learn local cooking techniques and recipes, which he uses as inspiration for a recipe he demonstrates at the end of each episode.
- Knox, David (11 January 2009). "Food critic becomes Masterchef host". tvtonight.com.au. Retrieved 12 January 2009.
- "Gary Mehigan, Official Site: Profile". Retrieved 2 July 2014.
- "The Boathouse, about us". Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- "Lifestyle Food Channel: Gary Mehigan, Chef". Retrieved 24 October 2009.
- Fowler, Bella (23 October 2019). "MasterChef's Matt Preston and Gary Mehigan to Team Up with MKR Rival". news.com.au. news.com.au. Retrieved 24 October 2019.