Gary LaPierre (April 14, 1942 – February 4, 2019) was a radio and television journalist, who spent most of his career with WBZ, an all-news radio station in Boston, Massachusetts. He also made appearances on WBZ-TV's news broadcasts, often filling in as a substitute anchor. LaPierre retired in 2006 after 40 years at the anchor desk. He had started at WBZ in 1964 as a general news reporter.
|Born||April 14, 1942|
|Died||February 4, 2019 (aged 76)|
|Alma mater||Grahm Junior College|
|Known for||WBZ (AM) radio news anchor|
Early life and careerEdit
Born in Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts, LaPierre graduated from Grahm Junior College and attended the University of New Hampshire and Boston University. His first job in radio was with WHAV in Haverhill, Massachusetts, in 1961. He then worked briefly in New Hampshire before joining WBZ, where he would work for a total of 43 years.
LaPierre was heard on WBZ for a number of years giving a daily commentary, "LaPierre on the Loose". He was also heard doing commercials for various advertisers. In 1999, he played Ebenezer Scrooge in WBZ's adaptation of the Charles Dickens classic, A Christmas Carol. This version has been played every Christmas Eve since then.
Honors and awardsEdit
- Gold Award for Best Newsman of the Year, at the International Radio Festival in New York City (1986)
- Lifetime Achievement Award, from the March of Dimes Achievement in Radio Organization (1997)
- Edward R. Murrow Award for Best Radio Newscast, presented by the Radio-Television News Directors Association (1998)
- Associated Press Award for Documentary of the Year
- San Francisco Award for Best Investigative Journalism
- "Obituary for Mr. Gary J. LaPierre". tributes.com. Retrieved February 8, 2019.
- "Gary LaPierre gives his final broadcast on WBZ". Boston.com. Retrieved 4 February 2019.
- "WBZ Biography". wbz.com. Archived from the original on January 4, 2008 – via Wayback Machine.
- Seaman, Larry (June 10, 2016). "Interview with Gary LaPierre Around Town Sneak Peek WHAV radio Stars". Retrieved February 5, 2019 – via YouTube.
- "Interview". The Boston Globe. March 2, 1986. Retrieved February 5, 2019 – via newspapers.com.
- "Good news at WBZ radio". The Boston Globe. November 9, 2005. p. E2. Retrieved February 5, 2019 – via newspapers.com.
- "Retired longtime Boston radio, television journalist Gary LaPierre dies at 76". WCVB. 4 February 2019. Retrieved 4 February 2019.
- "CBS Boston Biography". boston.cbslocal.com. Archived from the original on January 13, 2016 – via Wayback Machine.
- Brown, Joel (January 6, 2011). "Broadcasters Hall of Fame inducts local luminaries". The Boston Globe. p. NO1. Retrieved February 5, 2019 – via newspapers.com.