Gary Giddins (born March 21, 1948) is an American jazz critic and author. He wrote for The Village Voice from 1973; his "Weather Bird" column ended in 2003. In 1986 Gary Giddins and John Lewis created the American Jazz Orchestra which presented concerts using a jazz repertory with musicians such as Tony Bennett.
For five years, Giddins was the Executive Director of the Leon Levy Center for Biography at the Graduate Center of the City University of New York.
- Riding on a Blue Note (1981)
- Rhythm-a-ning (1985)
- Celebrating Bird (1987)
- Satchmo (1988)
- Faces in the Crowd (1992)
- Visions of Jazz: The First Century (1998)
- Bing Crosby: A Pocketful of Dreams - The Early Years, 1903-1940 (2001)
- Weather Bird (2004)
- Natural Selection (2006)
- Jazz (2009)
- Warning Shadows: Home Alone with Classic Cinema (2010)
- Bing Crosby: Swinging on a Star - The War Years, 1940-1946 (2018)