Gamezebo is a website that focuses on editorial coverage of the mobile gaming industry, offering interviews, reviews, previews, strategy guides, and news. It had been centered on casual games, but after a redesign in 2014, the site changed direction to primarily highlight mobile games.
Type of site
|Created by||Joel Brodie (Founder), Erin Bell (Editor)|
|Alexa rank||42,082 (October 2014[update])|
The site has featured games from studios and publishers including PlayFirst, Big Fish Games, Oberon, RealArcade/GameHouse, MumboJumbo, Playrix, Gogii Games, Sandlot Games, Reflexive Entertainment, Row Sham Bow, Inc and Last Day of Work. The site also spotlights new web games, casual massively-multiplayer online (MMO) games, and casual console video games.
Gamezebo was founded in 2006 by Joel Brodie, former head of business development at Yahoo! Games, and over the years has grown to become the leading medium on casual games, with up to 3.5 million page views per day. To cope with the shift from casual games to social games, the Gamezebo-website was given a large update in February 2010.
Besides owner Joel Brodie, and editor-in-chief Jim Squires, Gamezebo has a freelance network of about 20 people covering the casual and social games industry. Current and past contributors include Marc Saltzman, Scott Steinberg, David Laprad, Justin McElroy, Kyle Orland, Chuck Miller, Margie Bissainthe, Meryl K. Evans, Vinny Carrella, Andrew Hayward, Erin Bell, Andrew Webster, Christina Winterburn, Lisa Haasbroek, Martijn Müller, Brandy Shaul, Talor Berthelson, Tawny Müller, Nick Tylwalk and Brian Anthony Thornton.
In 2007, Gamezebo and the Casual Games Association jointly launched the Zeebys, a set of awards recognizing the best in casual games each year. The awards are divided into two categories: the People’s Choice Awards are voted on by the general public, while the Craft Awards are voted on by registered members of the Casual Games Association. The Zeeby award winners for 2006 were announced in Amsterdam, The Netherlands as part of CGA Europe: West 2007.
Awards and industry involvementEdit
In 2008, Gamezebo was nominated for a Webby Award by the International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences in the category of Best Video Games-related website.
- "Gamezebo.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-10-19.
- "Gamezebo reviews Gemsweeper". Lobstersoft. August 25, 2008. Archived from the original on 2009-07-16.
- "Press Room > Awards & Reviews". RealNetworks. Archived from the original on 2009-02-27.
- "News - PlayFirst in the Media". PlayFirst. Archived from the original on 2009-06-30.
- "Gamezebo on Zylom".
- Takahashi, Dean (February 23, 2010). "As Audiences Shift to Social Games, So Do Game Reviewers". New York Times. Retrieved May 3, 2010.
- "Voting Begins for First Casual Game Awards". Digital Media Wire. January 12, 2007. Archived from the original on 2009-06-30.
- "12th Annual Webby Awards Nominees". Webby Awards. Archived from the original on 2009-03-15.