Galatasaray University (Turkish: Galatasaray Üniversitesi, French: Université Galatasaray) is a Turkish university established in İstanbul, Turkey in 1992, following an agreement signed in the presence of President François Mitterrand of France and President Turgut Özal of Turkey during a ceremony at Galatasaray High School, the mother school of the university. Turkey's Ambassador to France, Coşkun Kırca, played an important role in organizing the agreement. Galatasaray University is one of the most important members of the Galatasaray Community as Galatasaray High School and Galatasaray Sports Club, and is widely regarded as one of the most prestigious and notable universities in Turkey.
14 April 1992
|Founder||Bayezid II (1481) |
Turgut Özal & François Mitterrand (1992)
|Rector||Prof. Dr. Ertuğrul Karsak|
The establishment has five faculties (Economic and Administrative Sciences, Law, Communications, Natural Sciences and Literature, Engineering and Technology); two institutes (Social Sciences, Applied Sciences), 200 teachers and 2500 students.
As a participant in the European exchange programs Erasmus and Socrates, Galatasaray University accommodates around 50 European students. Meanwhile, 100 students of Galatasaray University travel each year to France within the framework of these exchange programs.
In essence, Galatasaray University represents a secular tradition of teaching. Courses at Galatasaray University are tri-lingual: in Turkish, French and English. Apart from French which is the primary foreign language, fluency in English as the secondary foreign language is also required. Also, the students have to follow a third language course during their studies, which is either Spanish or German according to their choice. For the Faculty of Engineering, the preparatory period includes only one year of linguistic training.
Galatasaray University is located at Ortaköy within the borough of Beşiktaş, a populous central district on the European side of İstanbul. The building that accommodates Galatasaray University was originally the Feriye Palace, a coastal summer palace on the Bosphorus built in 1871.
Galatasaray University is heir to the centuries-old traditions of Galatasaray High School which was established in 1481 as the Galata Sarayı Enderun-u Hümayunu (Galata Palace Imperial School).
In 1871, during the reign of Sultan Abdülaziz, the building was built by Ottoman Armenian architect Sarkis Balyan. The building was used as a dormitory for the female students of the Galatasaray High School until 1992, when it was inaugurated as the Galatasaray University.
On January 22, 2013, the roof of a building used by professors and secretaries for offices caught on fire. The cause was assumed to be electrical, since a small outlet fire occurred at around 6:00 pm. After campus security stabilized the fire and disabled the alarm, the fire spread inside the walls of the building to the roof. The fire was contained at approximately 10:00 pm.
- Faculty of Arts and Sciences
- Comparative Linguistics and Applied Languages
- Faculty of Communications
- Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences
- Business Administration
- International Relations
- Political Science
- Faculty of Engineering & Technology
- Computer Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Faculty of Law
The last student to be admitted to Galatasaray University Law School for 2016-2017 academic period, is the 87th of 2.255.386 (around %0,0044) students sorted by their score in ÖSYS (Central Exam for Student Selection and Placement for Higher Education). In 2019, still the students to be admitted to the Galatasaray University Law School are in the first 100 students sorted by their score of the central exam. This highly selective process, coupled with the quality of the professors makes the Galatasaray University Law School one of the best law schools in Turkey. Galatasaray Law School ranks as the number one law school in Turkey almost every year.
Institutes Offering Graduate ProgramsEdit
Institute of Social SciencesEdit
- International Relations Graduate Program
- Doctorate Program in Business Administration
- Business Administration M.A.B
- Business Administration Msc Marketing and Logistics
- Graduate Programme Without M.A.Thesis “Regional Strategic Studies”
- Public Law Phd Program
- Private Law Graduate Program
- Public Law Graduate Program
- MA in Communication Strategies and Public Relations
- Private Law Phd Program
- Philosophy Graduate Program
- Mass Media and Communication Graduate Program
- Philosophy Phd Program
- Sociological Studies on Turkey
- Economics Ph. D. Program
Institute of SciencesEdit
- Industrial Engineering PhD Program
- Master of Science Program in Industrial Engineering
- Non-thesis Master of Science Program in Engineering Management
- Non-thesis Master of Science Program in Information Technologies
- Non-thesis Master of Science Program in Marketing Communications Management
- Administration Research Center
- Penalty Law and Criminology Research Center
- Strategical Research Center
- Center of Research and Documentation of Europe
- Kemalist Reforms Research Center
- MEDIAR - Center for Media Studies, Research and Applications
- GİAM Galatasaray Center For Economic Research
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Galatasaray University.|