Gajapathinagaram is a census town in Vizianagaram district of the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. It is located in Gajapathinagaram mandal of Vizianagaram revenue division. It is located on National Highway 26 between Vizianagaram and Ramabhadrapuram.
Dry landscape view at Gajapathinagaram
|• Total||1.04 km2 (0.40 sq mi)|
|Elevation||69 m (226 ft)|
|• Density||5,500/km2 (14,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
According to the Imperial Gazetteer, Gajapathinagaram Tahsil in Vizianagaram district had about 228 villages and covered an area of 333 square miles (860 km2). The population in 1901 was 1,34,553, compared with 1,24,057 in 1891.
As of 2001[update] India census, Gajapathinagaram had a population of 5,282. Males constitute 48% of the population and females 52%. Gajapathinagaram has an average literacy rate of 60%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 67%, and female literacy is 53%. In Gajapathinagaram, 11% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Gajapathinagaram mandal had a population of 56,054 in 2001. Males constitute 27,770 and females 28,284 of the population. The average literacy rate of the mandal population is 45%. Male literacy rate is 56% and that of females 34%.
There are 35 revenue villages and 28 panchayats in this mandal.
As it is centre for so many villages, it has several shops for clothing. It has shops like Venkata Gayatri, Lifestyle, Ayyappa Readymades, Reload Men's Wear (number 1), and Youth Trends.
List of Members of Legislative Assembly:
- 1955 - Kusuma Gajapathi Raju and Gantyana Suryanarayana
- 1962 -Taddi sanyasinaidu and
- 1967 and 1972 - Penumatsa Sambasiva Raju
- 1978 and 1985 - Vangapandu Narayanappala Naidu
- 1983 - Jampana Satyanarayana Raju
- 1999 - Thadi Sanyasi Appala Naidu
- 1989, 1994 and 2004 - Padala Aruna
- 2009 - Botcha Appala Narasaiah
- 2014 - K A NAIDU
- 2019 - Botcha Appala Narasaiah
The primary and secondary school education is imparted by government, aided and private schools, under the School Education Department of the state. The medium of instruction followed by different schools are English, Telugu.
- "District Census Handbook - Vizianagaram" (PDF). Census of India. pp. 18–19, 296. Retrieved 5 December 2015.[permanent dead link]
- Gajapathinagaram in Imperial Gazetteer
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 16 June 2004. Retrieved 1 November 2008.
- "Election Commission of India 1978-2004 results.Gajapathinagaram". Archived from the original on 30 September 2007. Retrieved 21 February 2007.
- "School Education Department" (PDF). School Education Department, Government of Andhra Pradesh. Archived from the original (PDF) on 19 March 2016. Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "The Department of School Education - Official AP State Government Portal | AP State Portal". www.ap.gov.in. Archived from the original on 7 November 2016. Retrieved 7 November 2016.