The 1996 Gael Linn Cup, the most important representative competition for elite level participants in the women's team field sport of camogie, was won by Munster, who defeated Ulster in the final, played at Russell Park.
|Gael Linn Cup winners|
|Winners||Munster (11th title)|
|Gael Linn Cup Runners-up|
Matches were played off over the weekend of 16 June at Russell Park. Maureen McAleenan scored 2–7 for Ulster and Denise Gilligan 2–6 for Connacht as Ulster beat Connacht 4–8 to 4–7 in the semi-final. Leinster suffered their worst-ever Gael-Linn Cup defeat, losing 3–16 to 0–to Munster.
The final was a ten-goal thriller, and the only time in a major camogie competition when the losing team scored six goals. Ulster led Munster by eight points at half-time, Munster's second half come-back brought the match to extra time and Munster's fitness told as they won 4–18 to 6–10. Fiona O'Driscoll scored 2–10 for Munster and Maureen McAleenan 3–4 for Ulster.
Gael Linn TrophyEdit
Ulster defeated Connacht, 3–12 to 1–3, Munster defeated Leinster by 4–13 to 2–7 and Munster completed the double with a 3–17 to 1–7 victory over Ulster.
- Moran, Mary (2011). A Game of Our Own: The History of Camogie. Dublin, Ireland: Cumann Camógaíochta. p. 460. 978-1-908591-00-5
- Gael Linn Cup on Camogie.ie
- Report of final in Evening Echo, 18 June 1996
- Report of final in Irish Independent, 18 June 1996
- Report of final in Irish Times, 18 June 1996
- Report of final in Irish Examiner, 18 June 1996
- Report of final in Irish News, 18 June 1996